The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM

captainjack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for a versatile 5 weight

I appreciate all of the responses. I'm going to make every attempt to try and cast as many of the rods mentioned here as I can. Right now, I'm leaning towards Sage, probably the Flight, as I feel most at home with faster rods. I'll let you guys know what I decide on. Thanks again.
sbreech likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

buy local and check out the flying pig rods, a few guys on here gave these rods some high marks saying the rod way out performs others in its price range and handles like one that cost significantly more....

Performance Fly Rods - Fly Fishing Gifts | Flying Pig Fly Rods

i will be picking one up around the holidays

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'll throw my vote in for the Sage Flight; I have it in 8wt and it's pretty sweet. I think they are at a really good discount right now too.
sbreech likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
buy local and check out the flying pig rods, a few guys on here gave these rods some high marks saying the rod way out performs others in its price range and handles like one that cost significantly more....

Performance Fly Rods - Fly Fishing Gifts | Flying Pig Fly Rods

i will be picking one up around the holidays

local? these are chinese right?
sbreech likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. For a budget rod, local, I'd go with a Sage Flight, or search the big internet auction for a Sage Vantage (discontinued). It's a fast rod, but it will cast and has plenty of backbone.

When I picked up my Vantage, the other rod I was looking at was a Winston Passport. Very similar rod, but then I found out...Winston sold out and has their lower lines made in China, and Sage doesn't (with regards to rods). Yup, I got the Sage. I find it hard to part with over $225 for a chinese made piece of graphite.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Even still, i just kinda feel better giving the $$$ to a guy right down the road. Illinois is flat but I still have pride

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

I agree with the comments above. I will say, though, that, owning several sage, winston, and st croix rods in five weight, one of my favorite all around 5 wt rod in the Albright A5 five piece 9' rod. It is light, fun to fish with, and cost less than $150.00.
barham
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

TFO is putting out some great rods around the same price point as the ones you have mentioned. They are definitely worth looking at.

-Chase
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

ive cast most of those rods and own some of them. they are all fine rods and will all do the job. if you like a faster rod you may be happiest with the a3.its probably the fastest of the bunch and the five will work fine but i dont think you would have any trouble handling bass up to 4lbs on the four with the a4. as someone else said the gvx is a great rod in that price range a little slower action but smooooooth. st.croixs are a hard rod to beat for the price too.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
All of those rods are nice and would work. Imho in that price range the Winston Gvx is the best thing going.
Though I am not familiar with this rod first hand, I am curious after it competed very well in the Red's Fly Shop user shootout. It came in 3rd place behind the ONE and BIIIx and ahead of the Sage VXP. This was a consumer "shootout" sponsored by the fly shop, not by the fly shop itself.

Sage ONE Wins the Red's Fly Shop 5 Weight Fly Rod Shootout | Red's Fly Shop

Otherwise, obviously you should go cast some rods. Nothing is going to excel at casting everything from #6 poppers to #18 dry flies, you'll have to find a happy medium. I'd recommend looking for a good "medium" to "medium-fast" action rod. Many of the "fast" or tip flex rods are less versatile.

Have you looked at the TFO Professional? It's pretty nice 590 rod for under $300.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Here is a closeout sale on the GVX ... $350!

Winston GVX Fly Rods Closeout Sale