The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for a versatile 5 weight

IMHO, for bass fishing I like a stiffer fly rod as I have to drive the hook through a bass's hard jaw.

I also like at least a 7-weight. I think a good bass rod, for example, is the St. Croix Ultra Legend. A good trout rod is the softer Avid.

One rod doesn't fit all.

Randy
Sep likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Looking for a versatile 5 weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
IMHO, for bass fishing I like a stiffer fly rod as I have to drive the hook through a bass's hard jaw.

I also like at least a 7-weight. I think a good bass rod, for example, is the St. Croix Ultra Legend. A good trout rod is the softer Avid.

One rod doesn't fit all.

Randy
Randy beat me to this answer. Fishing for bass and fishing for trout take two different tools, to my way of thinking, and the hookset is the greatest component of the variance. If bass are your more regular target, lean more heavily to the speed side.

Mike