The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default Streamer Rod

I want a rod that will throw streamers and weighted line while wading for trout so that I can hit the deeper holes. I have what I would call a medium to fast action 5wt. Do I need a six weight or do I need to get a sink tip for my five weight? It would be nice to double it as a heavier nymph rod if possible. looking at the St. Croix Bank Robber.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Streamer Rod

Welcome to the forum,

If you have your mind made up on a rod I won't try to change it but............ The way I make my streamer leaders eliminates the need for sink tips and you get them down. Use this thread and scroll down to the bottom for the leader description. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

I used this same type leader for many years with a 9' PM-10 5 weight and I use it today with all my rods whether I fish with a 6'3" 5 weight of a 15' 2 hand 11 weight. It works.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Ard. If your 5 weight is already a pretty fast action, the first thing you should try is a detachable tip of sinking line, rather that either a new sink-tip line or a new rod. It may work just fine and it could save you a lot of money.

You can also get premade lengths of looped leadcore line at fly shops if you don't want to make your own like Ard does. They're usually called "mini sink tips" or "mini lead heads".
Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I will differ a little here. While there is no doubt that Ard's method will work, i find a stout 7 wt works better. I throw it with a orvis streamer stripper line and with that setup i can toss whole chickens or yank a trophy brown from right under his undercut bank. Modern streamer fishing is basically throwing big ridiculous looking articulated junk...non-traditional but it works. Many guys are using even 8 weight rods!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I will differ a little here. While there is no doubt that Ard's method will work, i find a stout 7 wt works better. I throw it with a orvis streamer stripper line and with that setup i can toss whole chickens or yank a trophy brown from right under his undercut bank. Modern streamer fishing is basically throwing big ridiculous looking articulated junk...non-traditional but it works. Many guys are using even 8 weight rods!
Depends how big the junk is that you're throwing, I suppose. A fast 5 weight with a sink tip or sinking head should be adequate for traditional streamers and bucktails in sizes 6 to 12 under most conditions. However, it wouldn't have the power to deliver big, wind-resistant, fluffy things, or heavy, weighted things that are really more like jigs than flies. And the windier the conditions, the better you'll do with a heavier line.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Hmmm... Am I the only who uses split shot & floating line on my 6 weight?
Guest1, jaybo41 and rockriver like this.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
My Canadian frien Bill uses that a lot. I don't because I'm using a spey rod most of the time and the split shot departs most of the time in the first cast or two.

I use weighted flies a lot. Clousers primarily. For unweighted streamers I use an intermediate sinking line. I also have a rig like Ard mentioned if I need to get even deeper.

I have some full sinking lines in bigger weights, but I am not a big fan of those for what I think you want. A sink tip might be OK though. Full sink lines in a typical river full of rocks situation you can end up with your line hung up. They are OK for lakes and ponds.

It depends on the spot.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
That's exactly how I do it too, except on my 5wt. It is just as moucher mentioned, a fast action 5. It gets the job done on the streams I fish, but primarily because most of the flies I am throwing are trout or smallie sized. I might have to give consideration to Ard's method though, that sounds interesting.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:55 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I will leave the sinking technique advise to my compatriots and limit my comment to the Bank Robber. A terrific rod developed specifically for throwing XL streamers, this rod is hardly a 6-weight. More like an 8. SA has a streamer line intended to mate with his rod and if such a speciality outfit is something you crave I would call the man who developed it, Kelly Gallup at Slide Inn on the Madison in Montana. He will explain his specialized big fish streamer technique and exotic flies and even sell you this set-up fully rigged. He is a good guy and you will learn a lot talking with him.

For me personally, I throw streamers only in high water when fish are on the banks. I use a #6 or 7 with an aggressive floating line, short leader tapered to as thick a strand of mono I can fit through the hook eye (with a non-slip loop knot), cast right onto the bank side grass or rocks, strip once, twice, three times, pick up and cast again...did you see that yellow flash, he's on and he is angry!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have a faster action 5wt as a streamer rod. To me, it would depend on what you are chasing. I also have a 7wt that I use for bass and such. It' is most definitely a fast action rod that is a cannon.