The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finding treasure

I'm one of those guys who like to use what I own, if I can. A fly rod is a tool. A tool that is owned but never used is of very little worth. The reason I ask this is that, between the two, casting the Avid comes more naturally. The F&F is a nice rod, but just does not fit me. IMO, the F&F and the new bamboo have the same action, but drastically different weight. Perhaps this is the difference.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Sell the F and F. You will need my address ! LOL

KEEP that rod !
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
The F&F is a nice rod, but just does not fit me.
If you don't like it sell it. No reason to keep it just because everyone else likes it. Your opinion is the only one that counts.
dean_mt and biggie_robs like this.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A fly rod is a tool. A tool that is owned but never used is of very little worth.
Well, in that case, I'll trade you a set of screwdrivers for the F and F ?

Quote:
Now, th.e question is this: should I sell the St. Croix Avid 9ft 5wt or the Orvis Far and Fine Superfine?
If others opinion do not matter, one shouldn't ask for them.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

But I don't need a set of screwdriver's but I see what you are saying. You don't use your screwdrivers? It would have to be a real fine set of screwdrivers for that trade.

I didn't say that no one's opinion matters, that is why I asked the question. I already knew what the response would be, but if I really don't do well with it, I don't see why I should keep it around.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM

I was funnin' ya about the screwdrivers.

One poster was a little short with everyone,,cause we all had an opinion on your fine rods. I was just pointing out that you though our opinion did have a place.

Sorry if I offended, Sir.

Michael
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Wasn't offended at all. It's always good to have some spirited discussions.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

If yu don't like it, I say definitely sell the F and F. It'll bring more money that you can put towards a vintage Zwarg or Vom Hofe to match that fine cane rod!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

May I ask what fly line and reel you are using with your Far&Fine? It is an easy and pleasant rod for most to fish on smaller streams and you may have a poor match with you rod/line combo making it feel hard to load or, conversely, numbed by being overloaded. A typical line for this rod would be an SA Mastery Trout though some more experienced anglers might prefer a GPX 4.5 weight. F&F is at its best fishing single, unweighted files rather than lead weighted multi-fly riggings.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM

I have an Orvis BBS II loaded with a Lefty Kreh WF5F made by Scientific Angler. I can cast it decently, but the Avid is more of a cannon in my hands. Bear in mind, that I'm a marginal caster, at best. Someone who knew what they were doing would laugh out loud.