The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM

flyfisher4life1 is on a distinguished road
Default Micro Fly Fishing Rod?

Has anybody tested one of these rods? I know their a bit pricey for there use, but they look like you can have some real fun with these on the pan fish. I really want to buy one, but I'm not sure if they really do what the company claims. The company is J. Austin Forbes Ltd. UK, and the name of the rod(what they call it) Micro Fly Fishing Rod and Reel. So, if you ever tried it please let me know how it worked.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Micro Fly Fishing Rod?

Welcome to the forum. First let me say I never used one and my trend is towards bigger and bigger so I doubt I will try it. You came to good place though. Again, welcome to the forum.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I cast one once. It was being used indoors for classroom demonstration.
They look as if it would be real easy to build one from a scrap rod if you really needed one
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Flyfisher4life

I have looked at those little rods before and they are small to the point of being cute...

PS: Dan doesn't own a rod less than 12' long

Dave
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Rip has the right idea about making one rather than spend the money . Sports Authority had these 48 inch ultra lite spinning rods with an adjustable reel seat for 20 bucks . We put a 2wt reel on them and they cast a 3rd line fine for the panfish we were after. And alot of fun!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Welcome to the forum. First let me say I never used one and my trend is towards bigger and bigger so I doubt I will try it. You came to good place though. Again, welcome to the forum.
Thank you.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I cast one once. It was being used indoors for classroom demonstration.
They look as if it would be real easy to build one from a scrap rod if you really needed one
So how did the rod feel?

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Welcome to the forum Flyfisher4life

I have looked at those little rods before and they are small to the point of being cute...

PS: Dan doesn't own a rod less than 12' long

Dave
Thank you for welcoming me.
P.S. LOL

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Rip has the right idea about making one rather than spend the money . Sports Authority had these 48 inch ultra lite spinning rods with an adjustable reel seat for 20 bucks . We put a 2wt reel on them and they cast a 3rd line fine for the panfish we were after. And alot of fun!
I bet it is loads of fun, that's one of the reasons I want one.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So how did the rod feel?
It cast okay for a toy, but as far as I was concerned that's all that it was.

I'm no stranger to shorter rods. I have three that are 6'6" that I fish regularly.
I built an even shorter rod some years back. I think it was 4'9" or something like that. It was too short what ever it was. It's at the bottom of the pile now and I haven't used it in years.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

First, welcome to 'The Club.'

I've cast these 'things' on several occasions over the years and they're a pain save for one application. Small 'bushie' creek fishing where 'tip casting' is about all you can do.

Just my .02 cents.

fae
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Little rods are alot of fun but they definitely take some getting used to. Especially the cast but once you figure them out and use them in the right spots, they're a blast! Here's a 4'4" 4wt I built for "diminution".

Click the image to open in full size.
It'll reach out to around 30' but that's not what its for. Little rods are for bank busting, ninja fishing. If you like to sneak up as close as you can get to a feeding trout than the Forbes Micro might be worth a day in court.

Last edited by wt bash; 12-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Little rods are alot of fun but they definitely take some getting used to. Especially the cast but once you figure them out and use them in the right spots, they're a blast! Here's a 4'4" 4wt I built for "diminution".

Click the image to open in full size.
It'll reach out to around 30' but that's not what its for. Little rods are for bank busting, ninja fishing. If you like to sneak up as close as you can get to a feeding trout than the Forbes Micro might be worth a day in court.
Thanks for the info guys, yet I can't decide, I get many mixed reviews.