The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Winston GVX on sale everywhere (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/304904-winston-gvx-sale-everywhere.html)

r reese 12-11-2012 07:20 AM

Winston GVX on sale everywhere

Can someone tell me about this rod verses GVX Select? You can save about 200.00 all over the web. I Ordered A 71/2 ft 3wt for a spare rod. I love Winston Rods and took A chance before ever casting. I can cast about any rod after 30 + years. Thanks

jaybo41 12-11-2012 10:26 AM

Re: Winston GVX on sale everywhere

As I understand it, they've basically taken the same blank and upgraded hardware. I've heard good things about the GVX in terms of value but have not cast one. There does not seem to be as much chatter about these rods as some of the others in their lineup. Maybe a best kept secret?

From the Winston Blog:

Winston’s new updated GVX-Select series are exceptionally smooth, progressive and fast-action, all-graphite rods. Utilizing similar tapers as our high performance series, yet are made from 100% graphite instead of Boron. Finished in our beautiful deep Winston green, these updated GVX-Select rods now come with a new premium reel seat, new premium grip, new rod inscription, and premium rod bag and green aluminum rod tube. These new GVX-Select fast action rods cast beautifully and are truly an exceptional value.

dean_mt 12-11-2012 10:50 AM

The GVX competed very well in a user "shootout" that was sponsored by Red' Fly Shop.

Check out the results:
Sage ONE Wins the Red's Fly Shop 5 Weight Fly Rod Shootout | Red's Fly Shop

I've seen them on sale too, seems like an ideal time to snatch one up if you're in need of a new rod.

dpreller 12-11-2012 10:14 PM

what sites are ou guys seeing them on, im in themarket for a 7.5 or 8 foot 4 wt for creek fishing.

newby 12-11-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpreller (Post 506309)
what sites are ou guys seeing them on, im in themarket for a 7.5 or 8 foot 4 wt for creek fishing.

PM sent.....

db cooper 12-12-2012 10:34 AM

The GVX has been replaced by the GVX select. Basically the same rod with an upgraded reel seat. This rod has the famous Winston cork, the impeccable Winston craftsmanship and the rarely duplicated Winston feel. Its a much nicer rod than the price suggests. I have several myself and LOVE them. I have a 8.5x4 and a 8x4 and couldn't be happier. Once you see the build quality of a green Winston and cast one...you will never go back. They are making in my honest opinion the best rods they have ever made right now!

r reese 12-12-2012 01:08 PM

Ebay search GVX not GVX select

dpreller 12-12-2012 02:21 PM

thinking about ordering the 8 for 4 for small creek fishing and genral pan fishing etc. a couple revies said the rod was a little soft without the boron in the butt. for those who have fished it what do you think. im not worried about making long casts in the wind or anything but i would like to be able to fish a small nymph and indicator or throw a lightly weighted streames on the small creeks.I SHOULD ADD I FISH ALOT OF SCOTT G2 rods if that helps with your comparrison.

db cooper 12-14-2012 09:05 PM

Honestly...i think the GVX is one of the finest trout rods on the market. I would take a 4 wt in this series over any other companies 4 weight on the market. The only better rods in this weight are probably the WT. I picked up an 8.5x4 Biiix and while i love it...i dont know if its nicer

cowpokey 12-14-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db cooper (Post 507076)
Honestly...i think the GVX is one of the finest trout rods on the market. I would take a 4 wt in this series over any other companies 4 weight on the market. The only better rods in this weight are probably the WT. I picked up an 8.5x4 Biiix and while i love it...i dont know if its nicer

What are your thoughts on the LT? Say in the 7'9" 3wt?