The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 AM

darkbreeze is on a distinguished road
Default Split cane rod question H-I

Greetings to you all and happy holidays. I just received a Horrocks-Ibbotson fly rod that belonged to my uncle who passed away. I don't know if it was ever used but it really doesn't look like a reel was ever mounted to it. It is in excellent condition from what I can tell. None of the finish is discolored or has any abnormal patterns to it. The fittings are all tight and bright, no rust, spotting or apparent wear. The cork handle looks like it is in very good shape and still feels fresh. It is a yellow diamond label which I was told makes it a 50's-ish model and has the white writing on the shaft near the reel mount. The label looks new and it is a 3 piece, 8-1/2 ft, 4-1/2 ounce tonka cane setup with an extra tip section. It still has the canvas bag which is actually in pretty fair shape as is the attached fabric tag with the specs on it. It also still has what I think is the original cardboard tube with metal screw on cap that the whole outfit including the canvas bag fits into. The cardboard case is kinda rough, but everything else looks good to my untrained eye and there are no visible cracks anywhere along the rod sections. I looked at the website that everybody references for info on these HI rods and his website indicates this rod to be in the 225.00 range however most of the posts on this and other forums contradict that saying maybe the 50-75 dollar range. I'm just wondering what one in this condition is worth if I wanted to sell it, or, having never fished a fly rod but being an avid baitcaster, it would be in any way a decent rod to perhaps begin my fly rod fishing career or would I be better off starting out with something different. Any input would be much appreciated and I will post some images of the sections and some close-ups of all the joints tomorrow when I have a chance to take some pictures. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Split cane rod question H-I

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I used H&I rods along with South Bend and Ike Walton cane also when I was young. They will fly fish but not like a high quality bamboo or todays graphite and glass rods. I still have a sweet little 7' H&I Tonkin Prince 5 weight that I love to fish now and then.

Value................. that's very subjective, the best way to gage value is to put a bunch of similar rods on a watch list on eBay and see what people are willing to pay. Unless you hold a truly rare old cane like Leonard, Payne, etc. many of the old mass produced rods like H&I do not fare well in the price game if you are the seller. For mint, and I mean mint rod, bag, and tube, one could sell for 125.00 or more if someone wants it. Mint rod, good bag, rough tube............. the prices that people have quoted you are accurate. Please go ahead and post the pictures, I love seeing the old rods.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I agree with everything Hardyreels explained. I too fished an H-I in my youth and the one you have is heavy and, I speculate, for the equivalent of a contemporary #7 or 8 fly line (it may be designated in three letter form on the attached tag). These were not fine rods and I would suggest keeping it if family heirloom or sentimentality is a factor or selling it for whatever you get and acquiring a contemporary graphite outfit. There is no shortage of good advise on this forum once we understand the type of fishing, where these fish will be pursued and what price range is appropriate. Good luck and I too look forward to seeing your images.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

So far Ard and Sweetandsalt have pretty much nailed it. If I were you I'd take it to a shop and ask to try out a few lines from 6 to 8 figure it out and fish it till the guides fall off.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I forgot about line weight, this will help with that. How to Convert the Old Line Weights to Modern AFTMA Line Weights;

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;