The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wannafish
  • 1 Post By loringj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough
Default Meiser 909 highlander

Has Anyone used the Meiser 909 switch rod? I have been looking at rods and came across this one. Iam curious of how it works for a two handed rod being that short. I like the idea of a shorter two hand rod for the boat. I find my 11'6" is hard to get the fish to the net.

Thanks
Justin
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Meiser 909 highlander

I was intrigued with those rods, but someone told me they were built for overhead two hand casting into the surf? Not sure how they'd do for spey style casting.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Lorin,

I am supposing this is a 9' rod? Based on the numeration I'll say this; I have an 8'6" rod that has a 4 1/4 extension butt. You can make a single hand Spey cast with this rod or any of my single hand rods for that matter but when you get 2 hands involved in casting a short rod things are sort of out of sync. Due to the reduced length you have really limited ability to sweep up a long line for a cast. I can do it using just my right hand while using the left to pull / haul line to help with loading the rod and line speed but I can't do very well with both hands on the rod. This is all (I believe) related to the limited energy that a shorter rod can deliver to the line without an overhead cast. When you add the line hauling speed provided by the free hand things change.

In short, I would stay away from really short 2 handed rods no matter how prestigious the maker. I like my 13 & 15 foot rods a lot and I like all my dedicated single hand fly rods a lot too

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough

The website says its a 9'9" rod. I primarily do Spey casts as a lot of the area I fish is lakes that iam standing on the rocks with no back space. From the boat it doesn't matter but I still enjoy the Spey cast. This rod just peaked my curiosity because there are times I would rather the shorter rod but still like the two hand cast
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Really short 2handers are a bit fiddly, but I have a 7100-4 Sage XP that I '2 hand' all the time. Where these come in handy is the fishing situation is over kill for a real 2hander, you have very limited room for a back cast and have to fish really in close in. (Hope that makes sense.)

Rod doesn't know and the rod doesn't care what kind of cast you're asking it to make.