The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Thoughts on a CF Burkheimer

I'm researching a new rod purchase for early 2013. I had my eyes set on a new Helios H2 since I already trust and enjoy products. I came across the CFB while browsing the filson site and was intrigued.

Unfortunately the cfbrods site doesn't have any information on rod weight or action descriptions.

I don't know of any dealers that carry the rods so I can't cast one easily.

Anyone with any experience with these and other rods and can describe the actions for me would be much appreciated. Would also help to get an idea of how much they weigh.

Thanks in advance,
Cardo

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on a CF Burkheimer

To be honest, up till now I was not aware Burkheimer made anything but two hand rods. Among the spey guys Burkheimers are up there with Meiser's rods. I have never heard a bad thing about the quality of Burkheimers. They are a more custom type company so you may have a harder time finding someone who has cast them.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Call them. They're top notch rods. I know a few guys that have them. I've lawn casted a 5 wt and it's impressive. I Have to say it's a medium fast action, but it has reserve power to really let the line fly. Kerry Burkheimer has been rollingTom Morgans new 'glass rods last I heard. Plus Russ Peak was his mentor so the guy knows his stuff.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I'm researching a new rod purchase for early 2013. I had my eyes set on a new Helios H2 since I already trust and enjoy products. I came across the CFB while browsing the filson site and was intrigued.

Unfortunately the cfbrods site doesn't have any information on rod weight or action descriptions.

I don't know of any dealers that carry the rods so I can't cast one easily.

Anyone with any experience with these and other rods and can describe the actions for me would be much appreciated. Would also help to get an idea of how much they weigh.

Thanks in advance,
Cardo

This dealer carries those rods...they have been known to add some really interesting rods to their line-up, from time to time...

Burkheimer Rods Classic Series Deep Action Load

...like Tom Morgan's rods too...

PT/TB
shotgunfly likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Mojo said a mouth full, Burkheimer was the protegee of Russ Peak. I have seen them in a couple of fly shops, Trouthunter in Last Chance, ID and The Trout Shop in Craig, MT come to mind. A friend of mine who was close with Peak and fished Russ's rods all but exclusively fishes Burkheimer's now and we have switched off rods while fishing together. He prefers a crisper action and that is what Kerry builds for him. These are custom rods with impeccable craftsmanship and elegant design detail. I have cast the 8'9"/#4 and 9'/#5 and was impressed by both. Very smooth, responsive tips and adequate power with those exquisite fancy cork grips and burnished reel seats. Definitely worth researching. I would expect they might be willing to send out a test sample, it is worth asking about
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Kerry is a great guy, very knowledgeable and his tapers are among some of the finest ever created...

I would purchase direct instead of going through a dealer, you get to choose exactly what you want and you cut out the middle man...

I have fished dozens of his rods, never found one that was not amazing in all aspects...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks gents. I wrote them yesterday and should get an answer soon. I'll inquire directly with them about casting a possible test rod—no dealers around here (Virginia) carry them that I can find. It sounds as if the action being a medium fast would be comparable to an Orvis helios. That's a good thing for me since I've grown accustom to em.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

You did the right thing, call the shop and talk to Kerry or Nate. I have a 489 and 595, and cannot say enough about the quality of the rods. They are a joy to fish and definitely not stiff parking lot rods that seem to be the rage.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug View Post
You did the right thing, call the shop and talk to Kerry or Nate. I have a 489 and 595, and cannot say enough about the quality of the rods. They are a joy to fish and definitely not stiff parking lot rods that seem to be the rage.
So yes. When you buy 'direct:' You won't pay a penny more, they will build out the rod anyway you want (you can get major 'Bling' if you want to go down that road) AND not to worry about future rod breakage.

Kerry rolls all of his own rods at his plant in Washougle, Washington. He has thousands of manderals at hand for everything he's ever designed/built. None of this 'The rod's been out of production for 10 years so we can't help you' stuff.

Got to tour his plant a few years back and it was one of the most interesting afternoons I've ever spent.

Fred
mojo, imxer and Guest1 like this.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I broke down and bought a Burkheimer 489-4 DAL. Never had a chance to cast one, which makes this purchase somewhat insane. I talked to Kerry a number of months back and we talked through my fly rod quiver, what I liked in which rod I fish. We ultimately decided that the 489 DAL would fit the bill.

I was surprised at the DAL recommendation. I fish exclusively Sage rods, from 490 and 389 LLs, a 589 SP, and a number of XP, ZXL and Z-Axis rods. I will have the opportunity to fish it this upcoming weekend and am leaving some of my tried and true rods that I generally fish at home to give me time with the Burkie.

I'll be pairing it up with a number of different lines - Gold WF4, SA Trout Stalker WF4, SA GPX WF4, and Airflo Tactical WF4 - to see what line works best for me on the rod. If any of you fish the 489 DAL, let me know what line works for you on the rod so I could give it a try.

Cheers,
Mike.