The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM

hayabusaflyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Comments on the Orvis zg Helios

Hey can i have some opinions on the orvis zg helios rod?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Comments on the Orvis zg Helios

Lightest rod on the market still to this day...decent build quality, top notch components...and ive been told by some very credible sources that its the best selling rod of all time. Some of the tapers were great, others not so much. They had a tendency to break...but had a great warranty. What model are you looking at? I have had a couple that i really like and consider the 8.5x4 to be the best of the bunch. They never seemed to be super popular with guides and trout bums...probably because of the dog bed and slipper thing. This didn't stop whorvis from selling the hell out of the rods.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Which model did you have in mind? I have cast the 9' 5wt mid flex, the 9' 6wt tip flex, and the 9' 9wt tip flex.

The 5 weight did not impress me.

The 6 weight tip flex was a sweetheart. I don't usually like very fast rods but this one just felt right and was very versatile -- can handle everything with pinpoint accuracy from flicking small dries to double-hauling weighted streamers in the wind.

Fished the 9 for snook in Florida and was impressed by its lightness. Unlike a lot of other 9's it won't tire you out. My guide also had a faster Scott with more backbone that could get more distance in the wind, which could be an andvntage under some conditions, but it also felt like I'd have a sorer wrist at the end of the day.

My verdict would be, in the heavier line weights the reduced weight is a real advantage most of the time, although at extreme distances they do not match the fastest competitors. For trout rods the light weight doesn't matter as much, and you need to test the action of the particular rod for the kind of fishing you plan to do. Some of them are outstanding and others are so-so.

I will pass along a rumor I have heard that the 9' 8 weight is more brittle than average. I don't know if that is true in general, or if it is completely unfounded, or if it was due to only one bad batch from a manufacturing run that has since been taken off the market, but it's a concern that's out there. But hey, if you get an 8 wt Helios on closeout and they have to upgrade it to a Helios 2 if it breaks, is that so bad?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 9' mid flex 6 wt and I absolutely love this rod. I broke my ZG and this is what they replaced it with. The Helios II is my next however.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusaflyboy View Post
Hey can i have some opinions on the orvis zg helios rod?
I have a 5wt Helios and it's my best dry fly rod. Very light and I can cast it better than my three other 5wts. Fits me perfectly. In comparison to my Hydros, the Helios isn't as stiff and this allows me to work the water in different directions easier. Not sure if that made sense but it works for me.

I bought it used for a good price. Thought about upgrading to the H2 but just see no reason to. I haven't seen Orvis dropping the price like they did the Hydros which is a good thing. Semper Fi.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM

hayabusaflyboy will become famous soon enough

I picked up a 906 tip flex and am in awe of how easy it is to cast. I barely even have to try to cast tight loops about 100 ft.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The two best I've cast are the 9'/#6 tip flex, better by a good margin than the #5 and the 8'6"/#4 might have been the best of the lot. In the heavier line weights, #8 and 9, the across-the-linup absence of reserve power is even more of a problem than in the trout sizes. This allegedly has been addressed in H2. The absence of that low end grunt is the reason the hard-core eschew these rods. May I suggest, since you are new, that you check out both earlier in this forum and on Google, George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler, 5-Weight Shootout. You will find it interesting.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
They never seemed to be super popular with guides and trout bums...probably because of the dog bed and slipper thing.
These are the same folks sure to be decked out stem to stern in Simms wear, correct?
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have 3:

9' 5wt midflex
9' 7wt tipflex
7' 4wt midlex

I don't have a lot of experience casting other rods besides a Reddington Cross water 9' 5wt, St Croix 7'6" wt and a Superfine Touch 8'6" 3wt so please don't consider my input anything near well rounded or professional grade.

I really really enjoy fishing the 5wt. Compared to the Reddington (and this is a comparison I really shouldn't make) it's very light, responsive and accurate. I fish it the most.

The 7wt is great for bassing. It's not very forgiving of sloppy casting since it's a tip flex. But man, does it throw some line!

The 7' 4wt barely gets out anymore since I got my superfine. I'm considering selling it very soon. Not that it's a bad rod, but given the situations I fish I find it too short and would rather have a superfine touch (full flex) in those situations.

It's been said by some (guides too) that the tips on the ZG Helios have are weak. I've broken a tip in a situation that I felt would not have broken a tip (isn't that always the case). When it happened I was dumbfounded. But, Orvis replaced it, no questions asked.

I'm considering an H2 8'6 5wt next year. But of late I've been looking at something a little more amped up on the aesthetics. All of ZG I'd consider pretty tame/classic styling as graphite rods go and I don't see anything too exciting (styling wise) in the H2...besides the rod tube.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
These are the same folks sure to be decked out stem to stern in Simms wear, correct?
perhaps but i don't see the correlation between wader preference and rod preference. I suppose they may wear Patagonia or other high end wader brands...after all these are people who probably spend a lot of time fishing. I wasn't in any way trying to put down Orvis rods...i have many myself and like them very much...but they do get a lack of support from people working in the buiz...hell before the Helios id say they got almost zero support. Doesnt make them good or bad...