The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 9'6" rod too long?

It really depends on where you are fishing. For our open small rivers, I prefer a 9' to 10' rod. If I was struggling through brush between small pools on a tiny mountain stream, I might use just the tip section of a 9'6" rod set in a makeshift handle. A friend of mine who made cane rods for VA streams thought a 5' rod was long. Try casting just a 3' rod, you might like it.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm turning into a short rod nut so I'm pretty biased. Speaking from experience when I comes to small streams I hate a long rod. Its a pain to get into the few areas that open up enough to make a traditional cast and for the other areas where you're on you knees poking through a small gap in the brush the long rods will find every overhead branch they can. If you have alot of open water I bet the longer rods are pretty efficient but I've found the short rods ( 7'6" and under) suit me and my style of fishing best.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM

altos is on a distinguished road

Great for float tubing or nymphing. Small streams... with foliage at the waters edge... perhaps not.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I use an 8 1/2' #4 and it works fine with dry flies and the like.
That's my go-to rod too. A Winston BIIx that seems to work well at all sorts of ranges.
That said, my 9-1/2', 7 weight gets a good workout every year down here too. It's my smallie rod for use out of my kick boat, a steelhead head rod for when I head north and a great streamer rod if you ever hit the bigger waters.