The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 AM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road
Default 9'6" rod too long?

I was thinking about buying a 9 1/2 ft winston im6 4wt but I never really hear of anyone using trout rods longer than 9 ft. I am fishing in NC. I would appreciate any thoughts on the 9 1/2 length.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9'6" rod too long?

I like the longer rods 9' 6" or even a 10' rod for nymphing especially on larger streams with multiple current seams. For dry fly fishing I like a 9' rod or even a 8' 6" rod, for small brushy streams even shorter, so I guess it depends on what type of fishing you prefer and to some extent what kind of water you fish. The Euro Nymphing guys tend to use 10-11' rods.

Larry

Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

exactly what Larry said
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I like the longer rods 9' 6" or even a 10' rod for nymphing especially on larger streams with multiple current seams. For dry fly fishing I like a 9' rod or even a 8' 6" rod, for small brushy streams even shorter, so I guess it depends on what type of fishing you prefer and to some extent what kind of water you fish. The Euro Nymphing guys tend to use 10-11' rods.

Larry
Ok. I would be using it primarily for dry fly and smaller streams so I think it is too long for me. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

The shortest rod I use is a 9'...most of the time I use a 9.5 or 10' to fish on dry and nymph on sight even in very small and brushy or overgrown streams...My son uses a 9.6' Scott G...no need to ask him to use something else.Just my two cents
Small stream Stories and Pictures;
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a great rod for bigger rivers, for euronymphing, and for lakes either wading, float tubing, from a boat or a dock.

I use a 10 footer on the Madison River and on Hebgen Lake for dry fly fishing. You lose accuracy but you gain in distance and in mending.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I mainly fish an 11 or 12 foot rod. I pretty much always fish dries, occasionally letting the dry fly get damp. I fish big waters, so hanging up on my back cast isn't a concern. If it was close quarters, I'm not sure it would be so much fun.

Since it is big waters, I'm almost always fishing across multiple current lanes. What the longer rod does is allow one to keep most of the line elevated above the water, hence avoiding having to battle multiple current speeds. This really provides the ability to fish a very controlled drift, whether using a passive or active presentation.

So at least where I spend most of my time on the waters, a longer rod makes a very effective fishing tool. I could certainly see where in some circumstances it would be detrimental. I guess it comes down to, as my Brit friend was fond of saying - Different horses for different courses.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I think you want a yes or no answer so I'll give my opinion, but remember it's only an opinion. I love a 4 wt line because it lands so softly on the water. To me a 4wt line is a small water line. On the larger rivers maybe a #6 is better many times.
Now, on the small water, if you are in the GSMNP or similar area. IMHO there is often not much room to cast. I use an 8 1/2' #4 and it works fine with dry flies and the like. There are some guys that are pure nymph users and they'll do a high line, almost flip of the line type technique and if that is what you are thinking about then a 9 1/2' ought to work. I may be wrong but I think a few guys use 10' telescoping crappie rods for that type of high stick nymphing. Personally, I'm sort of a dry fly snob although I don't like to admit it. Actually, I think the dry is often easier to do than the nymph.
So, depends on the streams you'll fish and depends on what technique you are thinking about. If it is dry flies on small streams- that 9 1/2' is going to be hitting the overstory limbs but if you thinking larger water or nymphing then the 9 1/2 ought to be okay. That's just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post

Larry
I am with Larry.

I have fallen in love with 10 foot rods for nymphing all but the smallest streams. But they are a bit much for some dry fly applications I find.

Gary
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the wrong person to ask if a rod is to long. I never say no. My shortest fly rod is 9' and I doubt very much I will ever go shorter than that. In summary, no a 9'6" rod is not to long. In fact it will cast farther, mend better and I think that going really short for brushy edges is really, really, really over rated.