The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Decisions, Decisions

One of my favorite creeks to fish here is the definition of a highly technical spring creek. It holds a lot of brown trout, a good number over 20," that will spook at the shadow of a false cast, much less a sloppy presentation. And that BIIt lays down a line like a feather. I haven't cast the CT in several months so I can't remember if I like it near as much as the winston. All i know is that I lovee the two BIIts I have tried. I think I will go with a BIIt.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I have the 480 BIIT, it's a sweet rod. I do a fair amount of business with Angler's Habitat in Idaho. They have a great trade-in program and get a lot of used rods in. Give them a call and let them know what you're looking for and they may be able to help. What's the price range you're looking at?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

$450-$500 tops. That's why I am looking at used Winstons.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

If you have a 500 buck budget and want a Winston, I don't understand the question.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

You will be able to get pretty much any rod you want with that kind of budget with a little searching. When buying online at a substantially lower price than retail, make sure the seller is reputable and offers a money back guarantee. As to the warranty card issue - I haven't had problems with sending rods in to be fixed even without the warranty card. Send the company the money and the rod and they will *usually* happily fix it. The Redington CT rods are very nice for the money, but nothing like a high end Winston, Sage, Scott, etc.

-Chase
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM

I was just making certain there wasn't a compelling reason I should go with the CT. And there are other things I could/should be buying for the price, (like spare spools, sinking line, a lumbar pack, etc....) but I want that Winston.

Last edited by newby; 12-19-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

I want a Winston too, very likely my next rod will be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
I was just making certain there wasn't a compelling reason I should go with the CT. And there are other things I could/should be buying for the price, (like spare spools, sinking line, a lumbar pack, etc....) but I want that Winston.
Then get the Winston. [/thread]