The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Decisions, Decisions

Hmmm, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. With Cabela's putting the CT on sale I had them do a store to store transfer on a 7'6" 3wt. I have to pick it up by Friday or it goes off of hold.

$75 dollars was hard to pass up but it appears I will actually have more money than I thought I was going to have. Enough that I could buy a used Winston BIIt. And now I am wondering if I should wait for the Winston, which I adore, or if I should go with the classic trout which would be a lot cheaper. I haven't cast a classic trout in so long that I can't really compare the two, though I know the Winston has much higher build quality and is probably a better rod.

Any suggestions? I am leaning towards waiting and getting the Winston, which from all the rods I have cast that I can remember if my favorite, a truly sweet stick.

I need some advice to push me one way or the other.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Decisions, Decisions

If the Winston is in good condition, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Would you rather have a brand-new Honda Civic or a like-new BMW?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

If you wait a little there will be a gazillion of these cheap CT's for sale used for $40 on ebay and various forums...you could get both.
mcnerney and moucheur2003 like this.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

First question which model BIIT ? If it is the 8' 4 wght run to get it or better yet PM ed me with address and I will get as it is a great rod possibly a classic four piece version of true classic TMF . Actually every Winston BIIT rods are superior to the CT'S . Having said that I just got the 8'6"5 wght CT from Cabelas this morning. Why? Had gift certificate and I wanted back up four piece in this size. My thoughts upon viewing it and wiggle : Cork pretty darn good very little filler,'reel seat not a Lemke custom seat and has stamped made in China, the guides are dead on.Feels nice wiggling it w/o a reel on it. Overall appears as nice as many mid level rods. Foreign made. Again it is crazy to compare to costly Sage , Winston etc So it comes down to this in my opinion; you can catch fish with either and if it was me.Buy the Winston BIIT, then if you need a rod in an empty hole in your quiver get it with Renington CT. I have passed up a great deal or two and you do not get often a second chance.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, I know the BIIt's are better in build quality and feel than a CT, but a used winston doesn't have a warranty- I'd have to baby it. I'm still leaning towards waiting to get the Winston.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

If you want to walk out on the river and enjoy the fly fishing experience buy the Winston. If you want to walk out on the river and say to yourself and your buddies, "MAN I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON THIS FLY ROD," buy the CT.
dakotakid likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
Oh, I know the BIIt's are better in build quality and feel than a CT, but a used winston doesn't have a warranty- I'd have to baby it. I'm still leaning towards waiting to get the Winston.
I wouldn't like the feeling of having to baby it. I'd feel bad about fishing with something I couldn't afford to throw away at the end of the day if it got destroyed.

Because I feel this way, I've spent a lot of time fishing with 'inexpensive' rods. I've still had (and continue to have) lots of fun.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you like both rods identically, I would look at which offers the best savings/value right now? When I'm buying used tackle in general vs. new/discounted/closeout from a retailer, I am all about being an opportunist.

As far as "babying" a rod. Fish it, that's what it's made for, but do so in a responsible way. Here's a good read to help you avoid breakage.

How To Avoid Breaking Fly Rods | MidCurrent

When I buy used gear, I want to see good detailed pictures BEFORE I make a purchase online. If I'm buying from a seller local to me and I have the chance to look at it before I buy, I'm looking for nicks, chips, anything that could make the rod break. If you have to send it in for repair, deal with it IF/WHEN that happens.

Last but not least, if there is a rod you find that you "can't live without", if you are patient and can wait, you will find one. I can't tell you how many different discontinued Sage rods regarded by many as "best ever" rods I've seen up for sale. Patience is the key here.

P.S. It really sounds to me as though you want the Winston. If the rod is in good shape, the price is right and within your budget...go for it.
lacanadio likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 12-19-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Yes, I do like the Winston better than the CT. If I don't get this one then I'll be patient and wait. and I have decided I "can't live without" a BIIt. The perfect dry fly rod for me in every way.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Love my Ct's..I honestly do. But that Winston is a heck'va rod I bet. Doubt I'll put money in a hi performance rod of that cost to fish far less than hi performance situations. I'm still lusting for a Superfine,,but haven't gotten it yet and might not. But I can appreciate the longing for one of them Winston's.

What a quandary ,,I feel for you !