The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By wcutrout
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 02:46 PM

wcutrout is on a distinguished road
Default St. Croix High Stick Drifter

Does anyone have any experience with the 10' 4wt high stick drifter designed by Kelly Galloup and made by St. Croix?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: St. Croix High Stick Drifter

Hi & welcome to the forum,

I don't recall any recent discussions regarding this rod but there are many members here so you're liable to get some feedback. A really good way to stir the reply pot here is to do a little introduction, just a bit about yourself, where and what you are fishing as in what state, species, and the folks will find you quicker. Maybe even incorporate the rod question into the intro............

Anyway, here's the link to the New Member Intro threads; Member Introductions - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-20-2012, 03:10 PM

Ard,
Thanks for the guidance. I have posted an introduction and look forward to sharing my knowledge as well as learning more from the members of this forum.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

As 'One Man's meat is another Man's Poison' no idea if this is any help.

"St. Croix High Stick Drifter

St. Croix High Stick DrifterSt. Croix teamed up with noted angler Kelly Galloup on these new rods designed for nymph fishing. High-stick nymphing is all about drift control and, in more localized holding water—pockets, current tongues and seams—about accurate delivery. The 9 ˝-foot 4-weight I fished served both purposes efficiently. The rod has the power to throw a heavy string of nymphs and indicator as accurately as such stuff can be thrown, but still enables a more open loop to keep all these flying objects from tangling. The length gives enough reach for good line control, but the light weight, particularly in the tip, allows you to comfortably hold the rod high, keeping line off the water and minimizing drag. And while stiffness in the butt allows for the quick hooksets often necessary with high-sticking, the tip still cushions the finer tippets used on small droppers.

The rod did seem to be limited in short-line presentations with light nymphs; it’s a little stiff for accurate, short-range casts. But the rod is really designed for more typical high-sticking with heavier flies, wind-resistant indicators and split-shot. Definitely a specialty rod but well suited to its purpose. Three 4-piece models, 9˝ to 10 feet, 4- and 5-weight priced at ... "

Good Heavens Fred, remember your Manors: Welcome Aboard!!
flygun60 likes this.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I've read about the rod and watched Kelly fish it on some youtube videos. Seems like a pretty stick for a special job. I was looking hard for a 10' blank to build up and if St. Croix would offer this blank, I may have bought it.

I think Kelly Galloup is a pretty cool guy, definitely knows how to catch big fish, and St. Croix is a good company. I wish I could get my hands on one to fish with.

Welcome Aboard.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM

btt

Hoping I could get some first hand feedback from someone who owns/who has used this rod.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

wonder how it compares to a Sage 99?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM

roorenard is on a distinguished road

I learned a strange version of Czech nymphing and HAD to have a really long and light 4wt rod -- and got one of these.

Its esthetics are kind of odd -- a matte light gray blank, a funny part-aluminum skeleton reel seat but otherwise pretty standard looking, but with an extra keeper about 5 ft from the handle for securing a dropper nymph.

Its action is very interesting and I find it very pleasant to use. The tip section is really soft but the action then tapers into quite a strong lower three-quarters, giving you some casting power if you need it.

The whole idea of high sticking is to have just a little line out and follow your nymph with the rod held high and ready to strike if you feel or see something (best to use a strike indicator.) That is exactly what this rod can do, and it is admirably lightweight considering its a mid-price rod.

In short, it's exactly the rod I wanted within my $400 budget, and I think it's a pleasure to fish with. It's truly a niche product but does its job well.

-- Roo

Last edited by roorenard; 01-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
wonder how it compares to a Sage 99?
This has me extremely intrigued as well, as I own a 99 and always keep an eye out for a HSD used... I figured I could compare the two and stick the one I liked less on the big auction site

Was getting a new line for my 99 and got my b@11s broken by my buddy at one of our local shops for having a dedicated nymphing rod.

Question: If you have a couple of "do-it-all" rods, why NOT have a dedicated nympher, if that's a lot of what you're doing?