The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
sbreech

Default Re: Orvis or Sage?

Buy one of each, determined by what action and fishing situation you want to do. I really like my Orvis Superfines, but my TXL is also pretty damn nice. My lesser-used heavy rod is also a Sage - Sage Vantage 9'0" 6wt. So, I guess you could say my lightest (000wt) and my heaviest (6wt) fished rods are Sage, and everything in between in an Orvis Superfine.

I'm sure that doesn't answer your question at all, though.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I promised Orvis 25 years ago that I would never buy any Orvis fishing equipment and I will not break that promise. And I was a Orvis dealer.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusaflyboy View Post
Which of the two are better quality and which would you choose? All comments welcome!
What a tough question put point-blank like that. Over time I would go back and forth with a preference between the two but always ended up getting another brand. To be honest, Sage rods always looked mass produced to me as if they were completely assembled not touched by human hands. Their cookie-cutter hardware and decals also turned me off as a potential customer. Actually, it's just lately that Sage made a rod I would consider buying over any other, the One. Had they caught me last year in a weak moment with a few bucks to spare I would probably have my first Sage rod. This year all that changed with the Orvis Helios 2 and the Hardy Zenith.

Picking a brand is the easy part if you base your preference looks, history, warranty and other non-functional assets. The bottom line for me is always function. Cast as many of each brand as you can and narrow it down to performance FOR YOU and your style and fishing needs. After all is said and done the brand won't even matter if the rod becomes an extension of your arm.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Billyspey, I probably bought a couple Orvis rods from you when I was in grad school in Knoxville. Still fish 'em.
Gary
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
I promised Orvis 25 years ago that I would never buy any Orvis fishing equipment and I will not break that promise. And I was a Orvis dealer.
Curious,why not?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Um, er, that's an old Orvis Trident TL 5wt. that's flingin' a fly pretty far across a western river (from Paul Schullery's "The Rise") about 20 years ago:
I knew I'd catch heat for that comment! Sorry Gary, I didn't know the Trident was that old.

My first good rod was a 7'11" 4wt Superfine, and I loved that little rod. I think Orvis is a good company, but there is something about all the $40 dog beds, expensive linens, etc. that they also sell that turns me off. I know, it's just one of my issues.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
but there is something about all the $40 dog beds, expensive linens, etc. that they also sell that turns me off. I know, it's just one of my issues.
That makes me wonder when Simms will come out with their brand of dog beds and linens.
Troutwhisperer likes this.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
That makes me wonder when Simms will come out with their brand of dog beds and linens.
It can't be too far behind!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

They are all so close on the top end of the spectrum but I owned three orvis rods before I moved on to Winston. After buying my first Winston IM6 3 wt I switched for good and have never gone back.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL: from Dean Mt." I knew I'd catch heat for that comment! Sorry Gary, I didn't know the Trident was that old."

That rod is a Delta million miler, just like me! And I'm still laughing about "...that old."

Good one, Dean Mt.!
Gary

Oh, and I gotta look for their $40 dog beds... I think they start at 140!! Still a good company though. I have a long history with the old man, LHP, he's done me some wonderful favors, asking nothing in return.
dean_mt and littledavid123 like this.