The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM

hayabusaflyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Orvis or Sage?

Which of the two are better quality and which would you choose? All comments welcome!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis or Sage?

I love Orvis rods. Not sure Sage isn't better, but I think most Sage rods not very eye appealing,,,to me that is. I'm ate to the bone with lust for a Superfine Touch.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusaflyboy View Post
Which of the two are better quality and which would you choose? All comments welcome!
Really? "Which brand do you like best and why?" is the question?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Almost like asking if you like Ford or Chevy better...I'm a Ford guy myself and own both Sage and Orvis. They are both quality brands but Orvis has a special place in my quiver as it was the first brand of fly rod I ever purchased.
mcnerney and Troutwhisperer like this.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:45 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

This could start a war!

I don't think you could go wrong with either brand; both top notch rods IMO. I just happen to have chosen to go with Sage for now; although i have owned Orvis and may again.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Orvis ad Sage are two of the long-standing dominant names in graphite fly rods. Both build their rods in their own rod shops right here in the US (Sage builds all their rods here, Orvis imports their entry level line-ups from Asia but your H1 is from VT). Both have their advocates, often passionate, and both are well made with unique to themselves technologies. Aesthetically, they both reveal quality craftsmanship but, as in all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have written many times that brand loyalty is a trait marketers strive to instill in the consumer to cement our repeat purchasing of their companies' products and that is fine with razors and breakfast cereal...but not fly rods. The knowledgeable fly fisher learns the characteristics a given rod designer is striving to create and it is the DESIGNER not the BRAND that determines the casting/fishing traits of a rod. Sage has been on a roll for more than a decade now with designer Jerry Siem who many, including me, regard as at the top of his game. There are others like World Casting Champion, Steve Rajeff at G.Loomis, Jim Bartchi at Scott and Howard Croston at Hardy that are right up there as well but you inquired about two brands. The Sage Z-Axis and its next generation, ONE have accumulated repeated accolades while Orvis's ZG Helios has impressed the Orvis loyalists somewhat more than the hard-core, fish bum contingent. However, with the introduction of H2, Orvis has turned some heads and, not being a brand impressed person myself, I can not wait to cast several, probably in January at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show.

May the best rod win but, depending on line size, the current Sage ONE in 7-weight and down and the G.Loomis NRX in 7-weight and up are very very fine performing rods and then there are the Hardy SINTRIX Zenith and Proaxis...H2 has a high bar to ascend to.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

PS: I fish rods from all the rod makers I mentioned above and lesser-known labels as well. Some of my rods retail at the high end, others less than half the price of ONE or H2. I have an open if very critical mind and evaluate rods performance relative to the environment I envision for it. I acquire at least one new rod almost every year including some models that are not popular with many other experienced anglers but suit a specific application I have. Last season I replaced my TFO BVK 9'/#6 drift boat rod with a Tim Rajeff ECHO3 of the same size, a distinct upgrade in my opinion and added to my 4-weight quiver dominated by Hardy Zenith with a (hated by George Anderson in his 2012 Shootout) NRX 9'/#4...a brilliant big river 4-weight complimenting my gentler (anything is gentle next to uber-potent NRX) 8 1/2'/#4 Zenith.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 PM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

That's an easy one. Scott, accept no substitutes.

No wait, I changed my mind G. Loomis. Did I ever tell you about my first big steelie on a skated dry, it was on an 9 1/2' for 8 Orvis Boron Graphite.
Then again Winstons are nice and I sure do like my Echo's, but I've spent the late mornings and early afternoons last week and this, clutching a Sage.
Better move on to someone who is less conflicted.

Best, TT
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Orvis but Winston my favorite
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

SAGE. (simply a matter of preference)

Until recently, Orvis rods where better suited for fishing in the Eastern part of the states on the limestone spring creeks and brush-choked streams of the hardwoods, while Sage and Winston have always been the rods of the West and it's "big water."
Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

"Until recently, Orvis rods where better suited for fishing in the Eastern part of the states on the limestone spring creeks and brush-choked streams of the hardwoods, while Sage and Winston have always been the rods of the West and it's "big water."

Um, er, that's an old Orvis Trident TL 5wt. that's flingin' a fly pretty far across a western river (from Paul Schullery's "The Rise") about 20 years ago:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Gary

Oh, I own Orvis, Sage and Loomis rods. Love 'em all for their intended duties.
oarfish likes this.