The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best/Cheap rod you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Nice rod, Rip. And that is a really, really rustic looking cell phone tower !
or maybe a very breezy deer stand! Love the pic and your kit!

Pete A.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, my choice is the Cabela's Cahill. I've purchased two in the last couple of years and right now you can find a 2-piece, 9-foot, 5-weight rod with med/fast action + Cahill reel, spooled with backing and WFF line for $39.95. Best deal on a decent backup rod out there.

Kelly.

P.S.: The cork on this rod is better than the Sage RPL I own...
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Believe it or not, my choice is the Cabela's Cahill. I've purchased two in the last couple of years and right now you can find a 2-piece, 9-foot, 5-weight rod with med/fast action + Cahill reel, spooled with backing and WFF line for $39.95. Best deal on a decent backup rod out there.

Kelly.

P.S.: The cork on this rod is better than the Sage RPL I own...
Yes, I noticed the cork is pretty good on that rod, too.
I have one I bought for my grandson. He uses it, but likes the Eagle Claw Black Eagle better. However, the reel/line/backing that comes on the Cahill works fine on the Eagle Claw ($20).
So, for $60 he has two rods, a reel, and line.
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a few under a $100 rods, including the $20 eagle claw, and a couple cabelas rods, but my favorite is my WW Griggs Heritage Series rod, it is a graphite and glass composite, looks like bamboo, and is a great little rod I picked up with a reel on closeout for less than $50 bucks. I use this all the time from my float tube (when it is not winter here).

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Another vote that it's tough to beat a $20 Eagle Claw

Click the image to open in full size.

Ideally matched up with a $20 Medalist

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Another vote that it's tough to beat a $20 Eagle Claw

Click the image to open in full size.

Ideally matched up with a $20 Medalist
I haven't seen the yellow rod in my local Walmart. I've seen, and have, this one:

Eagle Claw 8'6" Black Eagle 2pc Fly Rod: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

An enterprising individual is selling, or at least trying to sell it, on ebay for $60: Black Eagle Fly Rod
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 AM
sbreech

Well, I'll play along in this thread! My first UL fly rod was a 7'0' Lacrosse Custom Montana 2wt, and it is still going strong (and casting nicely!). For $80 it is hard to beat.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I haven't seen the yellow rod in my local Walmart. I've seen, and have, this one:

Eagle Claw 8'6" Black Eagle 2pc Fly Rod: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

An enterprising individual is selling, or at least trying to sell it, on ebay for $60: Black Eagle Fly Rod
The yellow one is a fiberglass rod, the black one (I'm guessing) may contain some amount of graphite. The yellow fiberglass rod has been made and cheaply sold for decades. For some reason, they upgraded the fittings over the course of the past couple of years. They are not hard to find, particularly online.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

My 8'6" 5wt St. Croix Imperial was a really nice rod.. Why I sold it I have no idea.. I'm kicking myself for doing so ever since I did...

My crappy shakespeare combo was like $20.. but honestly was a POS now looking back at it.. Was fine for a starter rod.. seeing as I had only cast my buddies backup rod a couple times.. so i had no real "feel" for a fly rod yet... I still have the reel sitting around.. it's kinda built like a tank.. and well.. all it has to do is hold line anyways..

I also have 2 Albrights on the way.. Xmas presents to myself So I can't wait to see how they perform.. Especially since you get such mixed reviews about them.. Dan I know you're a big advocate of them... so I'm hoping the GPX performs well
Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago ...Ard told me about the Quarrow rods...I bought a 9' 5wt 3p for $50...must say it's a very good rod perfect with a Cordel reelWhen my friend Batistou tested it he found it great...so I ordered one for him too.
So thanks again Ard for the advice