The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Best/Cheap rod you have

Trying to compliment a post about worst dog rods we all seemed to have fun with.

What is the best under $100 fly rod you own & use?

Rules:

1. Must retail under $100 2012 dollars, be fair and allow downard for inflation for past decades as in the 60's $100 would have bought top of the line.

2. Do not include "deals", rods bought well below retail on sale or other are not to be included.

3. It is one you have to use at a least a couple of times each year.

4. Pics of course are desired.

I'll start, mine's a TFO Signature I 9' 5wt 2pc. These retailed right at $100 and I got mine on sale for $69. It instantly became a favorite. IMHO it really performs better as a 6wt so it is most often plied with a 6wt Bass Bug.

It will throw a pretty bug but lay a line with decent finese for it's price point. Wife, 'ate' the tip with the vaccumm last week so I boxed up and shipped to TFO (their warranty rules!) for repair. I hope the rod that comes back is mirror in performance.

Here's an action pick with reel that is worth more that the rod but I love the rod so in my view it compliments the reel.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best/Cheap rod you have

Under $100. That WOULD have been the 9ft. 5wt Quarrow...now it's my 8ft, 5wt no name bamboo built on an Angler's Roost blank by a guy in Athens, TN. I've only lawn casted but I LOVE this rod. Can't wait to fish it.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Redington Crosswater 9' 8wt 4 piece
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'll go along with the TFO Signature.
I have the 3wt.
I cast a friend's one day and came home and ordered one for myself that evening. Haven't found any rod at any price that fits me as well as that little stick.
Although the suggested retail is $109 you can easily find them for a little under $100
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Up until this AM, Eagle Claw Black Eagle 8'6" 5 wt. I own 6 of them. Use them a lot. $19.76 at WalMart.

This AM, however, brown Santa delivered a Redington CT 9' 4 wt. Haven't fished it yet, but it may turn out to be a better rod. $65.76 at STP.

Pete,

Your rule: 2. Do not include "deals", rods bought well below retail on sale or other are not to be included."

Doesn't your TFO (and my CT) break that rule on 'deals'?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

You might be right. But few were sold above $100.

Pete
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Not mine, but I bought one for a friend....Featherlite by Eagle Claw. I got him a 6'6" 4/5 for under $40 and he fishes it all summer on small E Sierra creeks. It's even an ugly yellow and has a ruler on it. Great rod for 40 bucks.
oarfish likes this.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

8'6'' five bit 3wt Cabela's 'Stowaway.'

The kit actually cost about $135.00 but you got a reel, backing, fly line, leader and two rod tube (soft and hard) in the price. Amazing little rod for the money.

All you have to do is string the bits together, add a fly and you're all in.

Fred
Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

My Eagle Claw 8'6" Featherlight 5 wt. As others have said; under $20.00!

Pocono
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Not mine, but I bought one for a friend....Featherlite by Eagle Claw. I got him a 6'6" 4/5 for under $40 and he fishes it all summer on small E Sierra creeks. It's even an ugly yellow and has a ruler on it. Great rod for 40 bucks.
You would think they would put a ruler on higher-end rods too, wouldn't you? Or at least some discrete markings at measured intervals. Maybe people who shell out many $hundreds for a rod want to preserve the ability to judge distances for themselves, but on the other hand, a ruler with a reduced scale (say, 12 measured inches = 9 honest inches) might command an even bigger premium.