The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default 4wt 8'6" or 9'

I'm in the market for a 4wt, but I'm debating between a 86 or 9. It will probably be a Winston Passport that I'll use for dry flies, so I'm looking for a nice, soft presentation on your average trout stream or river.

Are there distinct advantages between these two lengths that might determine which way to go? Does a 9ft give a little softer presentation than the shorter rod?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4wt 8'6" or 9'

i used to be a fan of short rods but was recently educated on the advantage of long rods. the advantage of the nine would be in mending and lifting line over currents to get a better drift. i dont think there would be any presentation difference in either. not that the 8 1/2 wouldnt work just depends on the water your fishing and your prefrences.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Probably comes down to stream size and stream conditions (trees, foliage, etc). The 9' vs 8'6 debate may be akin to a Ford vs. Chevy debate. The rods I use for drys vary from 7'6 to 8'6. Others swear by the 9' for drys.

My suggestion would be to cast several different rods in those lengths and buy which rod feels the best. It may sound crazy but having confidence in any rod, regardless of length, will lead to more fish IMHO. Good luck!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Try both. I doubt you'll see much difference.
I have both 8' 6" and 9 ' 4 wts. There's not much difference. The 9' rod gives a tiny bit more reach for keeping the line out of the water.
thorsten likes this.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Try both. I doubt you'll see much difference.
I have both 8' 6" and 9 ' 4 wts. There's not much difference. The 9' rod gives a tiny bit more reach for keeping the line out of the water.
I think our Fellow's got it right, save for ... well never mind ... a few inches doesn't bring that much to the Party.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Boy, Fred,,do you ever leave an open end statement to comment on ! (but I shall refrain lol)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: 4wt 8'6" or 9'

One does what one can. Remember reading this years ago and still think its one of the funniest things I've seen in print:

Single Woman's Prayer

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray for a man who's not a creep.

One who's handsome, smart and strong,
Who's not afraid to admit when he is wrong.

One who thinks before he speaks.
When he promises to call, he doesn't wait six weeks.

I pray that he is gainfully employed,
Won't lose his cool when he's annoyed.

Pulls out my chair and opens my door,
Massages my back and begs to do more.

Oh send me a man who will make love to my mind.
Know what to say when I ask "How fat is my behind?"

One who'll make love till my body's a' itchin'
He brings ME a sandwich too, when he goes to the kitchen.

I pray that this man will love me to no end,
And never compare me to my best friend.

Thank you in advance and now I'll just wait,
For I know you will send him before it's too late.

Amen
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Some experienced hands will tell you that a sweet 8' 6" taper is easier to make out of graphite than a 9'. The extra length requires more material, different balance, and so on, so that if you don't really need the extra length, you are more likely to find that perfect 8' 6" that just feels made for your hand than that perfect 9'.

Having never tried to design my own taper, I can neither confirm nor deny, but it makes intuitive sense to me. I have a whole quiver of 9' rods in various line weights, but the sweetest-casting rod I have is an 8' 6" Winston WT 5 weight.

Perhaps an exception to this rule (if it is even a valid rule, who knows?) is if you need extra distance or backbone for windy conditions and/or big water. The extra length of a 9' rod allows the caster a bit longer reach, but also allows designers to build a longer, more powerful butt without sacrificing much "feel" in the tip. That's why you'll sometimes hear people say that a 9' rod is a typical rod for Western rivers, while an 8' or 8' 6" is more typical for Eastern fishing. In the closer confines of most Eastern streams, you don't often need to make heroic casts, but you do need to keep your line (and rod tip!) out of the overhanging trees.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 12-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:37 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

thats definetly true. it depends on the rod too. i dont care for the 9ft 5wt biix but the 81/2 foot 5 is an absolute sweetheart. for the difference of 6 inches id try to cast both rods and just buy whichever you like best. i dont think it will really matter as long as your happy with how the rod performs for you.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have an Orvis Access 8 1/2 foot medium action 4wt that is an awesome rod. Lays a dry out there like it just causally fell out of the air. I know you all have heard me lusting after a Superfine,,,if it has better touch than the Orvis Access,,,it's a hell'va rod. Now if you're trying to lasso eagles,,the Access is not the rod for that..but I can lay down a soft cast to 70ft with it. Prob not much farther though. I don't fish that far out anyways much..and if I'm on a lake or New River,,,I have faster action rods to cast streamers and such. Oh, the Access mends wonderfully at my casting distances. And the 'feel of the fight',,,It'd be hard to describe !