The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Eastern Rods - Western Rods?

This just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. Who cares what someone else says I should fish based on regions or reports from pros, how can one be objective when it comes down what they prefer to fish with? What exactly are you trying to get from this thread, a rise or a debate as to why I like this and you like that? This is pointless and I'm not wasting another thought on it have a good day.
imxer likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Back to East vs. West, is there an imperative in rod action that differentiates use on the Farmington in CT or the spring creeks in MT's Paradise Valley where, in both cases, 4-weight or lighter line rods are the norm? Conversely, the Housatonic or the Big Hole? Is a fly delivered with more delicacy or more authority with slow, medium or faster action rods?
I don't think you need a different rod for the Farmington than for Montana spring creeks (which are really not much different from Pennsylvania limestoners), although you might prefer different ones. For much Eastern freestone pocket water, you may actually want a bit crisper action than for spring creeks (or limestoners), because you are going to be picking the fly up, drying it off, and laying it down again pretty frequently rather than trying to get the perfect landing and longest drift. Back before fiberglass, they used to call slower rods "wet fly action" and crisper rods "dry fly action" for this reason. Wet fly fishing was relaxed and leisurely -- you lobbed a cast across the current, let it drift until it was below you, then lobbed again -- and didn't need to be particularly accurate or delicate. Dry fly fishing needed to be more crisp and precise -- both "fine and far off" in the old jargon. The current preference (by some) for slower graphite action for delicate dry-fly work is somewhat of a reversal of the old bamboo rules of thumb. (Of course, today's fast graphite rods are much faster than almost any of the old bamboo actions.)

Although you can find big water in the East (like the Delaware and some of the bigger Maine rivers) and small, nervous water in the West (like spring creeks), I think the "eastern" versus "western" difference in design philosophy has more to do with what kind of rod will cover the widest variety of regional situations, rather than the particular conditions of a particular location. For instance, you probably don't need a full 9 footer for most Eastern fishing, and there are plenty of Eastern conditions where you can actually do more with a shorter rod, but you really do need that extra reach and backbone in a lot of common Western conditions.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 12-27-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Most of the good fly fishers I fish with break large rivers down into small chunks or basically convert those big rivers into small streams.
Doing this, I always want a rod that allows good attitude near, far and everywhere in between.
The best fly fishers I know in the rhodo-packed tight streams of the Smokies prefer short yet powerful rods to toss junk with and still be able to reach out when need be. Thankfully, after a long drought of nothing but too-light line weight rods we're starting to see more reasonable line weight, short rods appear. I had to build my own 6.5', 5-6 weight to get what I wanted a few years ago. I guess that makes this a regional rod though, eh?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen what I interprate as one person drive in design of rods within companies. Fred Evans made the point that the proximity to Boing has had serious influence in the carbon design used in rods. i.e. Sage one's new material and a company I forget the name of a few years ago that actually spun out of Space Shuttle parts manufacture. But, if you look at a company like R. L. Winston, their spey rods once they hired Andre Scholz have clearly been guided by him and his scandi style. Gary Loomis is a nearly one person force I'm sure wherever he is these days. Speaking of which, I wonder how long Loomis Rods is going to boycot the blank market?

Local rivers may have some influence over the style of rods they design, but if it does it is because of the people who hire the designers influence in what they think is a good rod drives who gets hired. It's a lot more complex than just the size of rivers in the East vs. the size in the West. That is probably an important factor, but likely it's based on the person doing the hiring as the seed in it's importance. You can hire people from virtually anywhere.

I have really enjoyed this thread.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

DD

Gary Loomis is at North Fork Composits, Woodland WA. Making and selling blanks.
jaybo41 likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have seen what I interprate as one person drive in design of rods within companies. Fred Evans made the point that the proximity to Boing has had serious influence in the carbon design used in rods. i.e. Sage one's new material and a company I forget the name of a few years ago that actually spun out of Space Shuttle parts manufacture. But, if you look at a company like R. L. Winston, their spey rods once they hired Andre Scholz have clearly been guided by him and his scandi style. Gary Loomis is a nearly one person force I'm sure wherever he is these days. Speaking of which, I wonder how long Loomis Rods is going to boycot the blank market?

I have really enjoyed this thread.
DD I think you're dead on, on all points. The Sage reference is 3M's 'syntrex? Can't remember if this is just the 'glue' or a combination of materials.

But you raised an interesting point: "Speaking of which, I wonder how long Loomis Rods is going to boycott the blank market?"

fae

Here's a fun read vis a vis Gary: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewinte...aryloomis.html

Edit-edit: 'Im' beat me to the company name.

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-27-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Edit.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It is tough when a company only builds blanks...has anyone fished a rod built from a North Fork blank? Another Washington State company.

Not only Boeing-sourced "Konetic" technology that Sage is using but 3M developed the nano-silica resin that underpins Loomis's NRX and Hardy's SINTRIX (Zenith and Proaxis) rods and even NASA has spawned rod-influencing material technologies.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It is tough when a company only builds blanks...has anyone fished a rod built from a North Fork blank?
I don't know anyone who has, but there are custom rod builders who do like them. Maybe some are here in this forum.

My understanding is that Gary Loomis (the man, not the brand) can't sell finished rods because of the non-compete agreement he signed when he sold G. Loomis to Shimano. I believe he supplies the blanks to Tom Morgan Rodsmiths that Morgan then finishes out, but those tapers are probably more Tom's design than Gary's.

imxer likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

He also fabricated blanks to the specs. of former Winston designer, Sam Druckman, for his terrific Freestone Rods prior to his passing.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
He also fabricated blanks to the specs. of former Winston designer, Sam Druckman, for his terrific Freestone Rods prior to his passing.
There is still a Freestone Rods website with some very posh rods on display. Is it the same outfit, still in business? Does North Fork still supply their blanks?