The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Eastern Rods - Western Rods?

Even more interesting points. Here are two experienced anglers fishing Appalachian mountain creeks; one enjoys a very light line as has become increasingly popular, the other wants a short rod for tight quarters but with a heaver line weight for superior control. So, for short accurate and delicate casts what are the relative virtues of a 6 1/2' or 7' rod for #3 vs. a #6 line? And on sweet spots; some perceive a uniformity of design philosophy and feel across a given line-up while others discover a uniquely superior individual rod within a model range. Further, the romantic perception of the other side of the river; an Easterner dreaming of the broad powerful rivers of the West and the Westerner fantasizing about the Classic hatches and storied streams of the Catskills. Undoubtedly new tackle acquisitions must accompany a first ever adventure crossing the Mississippi in either direction...or not!

May tonight's arrival of 2013 herald in, besides peace and prosperity (and good will among Congressional leaders), many new and exciting fly rod introductions and newly discovered older rods to enrich our historical perspective.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
May tonight's arrival of 2013 herald in, besides peace and prosperity (and good will among Congressional leaders), many new and exciting fly rod introductions and newly discovered older rods to enrich our historical perspective.
To the latter point: When my father in law died I inherited his old Leonard-built Mills Standard with a loose reel seat and a few missing guides, and his early Shakespeare Wonderod. After a few $hundred spent restoring the snooty Mills so that it could carry a line again, it looks beautiful, but the bamboo is so tired out from past use that it doesn't cast worth a damn any more. Meanwhile the unpretentious Wonderod (you can find them all over for $20 or $30) still casts a WF8 like a dream. It's my go-to rod for bass bugging now.
Rip Tide and gt05254 like this.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
To the latter point: When my father in law died I inherited his old Leonard-built Mills Standard with a loose reel seat and a few missing guides, and his early Shakespeare Wonderod. After a few $hundred spent restoring the snooty Mills so that it could carry a line again, it looks beautiful, but the bamboo is so tired out from past use that it doesn't cast worth a damn any more. Meanwhile the unpretentious Wonderod (you can find them all over for $20 or $30) still casts a WF8 like a dream. It's my go-to rod for bass bugging now.
Is it possible to "like" that more than once ???
Oh yeah, with reputation points !
Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
So, for short accurate and delicate casts what are the relative virtues of a 6 1/2' or 7' rod for #3 vs. a #6 line?
One can cast a short moderately rated rod as accrately and delicately as the same size rod in a micro-weight. It's about using the right leader and stopping the rod as you should. I like a 5', furled leader made of tying or silk thread for this stuff. The reason I prefer heavier short rods for fishing the overgrowth tunnels is that I'm never undergunned should I want to fish double rigs, hairy bugs or even (gasp) indicators. If I hit a clearing and the wind is up over 3 MPH I don't have to pack it in either.
In all truthfullness, the lightest line I have is an Orvis One Ounce 2 weight bought when Orvis introduced their 25 year warranty (the beast that started the no-fault warranty craze that we all pay for to this day)
I used that rod quite a bit at first but eventually learned its limitations... usually when I needed that little extra it simply couldn't provide. The last time I used that rod was a couple weeks ago at a club fly fishing class when going over the gear we used I showed the range of rods, reels and lines we use from spey to that dink of a rod (the hit was whimbly but very usable $14.00 Eagle Claw Featherlight, now double in price but with a genuine wood reel seat!) Prior to this it had to be 10 years since it last saw daylight. I mostly used a 6'10" Scott G 3 weight, 8' BIIt 3 wt. or 8'6" BIIx 4 weight up until I built the short fiver. As time went on I trended up in line weights from the 2 to the 5 weight. That's just the way it works for me so far.

Anyhow, here's sincerly wishing ya'll have a grand and fishy 2013!
dean_mt likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road

Regarding the original question, I would simply say that "rod designer" is going to play a much larger role in the "style" of rods a company creates than say the location of where the rods are made.

Meaning each designer certainly has a tendency to make their own unique type of fly rod, sure they have pro staffs and whatnot giving feedback, the rod is always going to resemble the preferences of the individual who put the finishing touches on each taper.
mojo and imxer like this.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
Regarding the original question, I would simply say that "rod designer" is going to play a much larger role in the "style" of rods a company creates than say the location of where the rods are made.

Meaning each designer certainly has a tendency to make their own unique type of fly rod, sure they have pro staffs and whatnot giving feedback, the rod is always going to resemble the preferences of the individual who put the finishing touches on each taper.
Not only that, but I think Winston, Sage, Orvis, etc. wants to sell worldwide. At least when Jackster goes to New Zealand every other month, he'll have a rod that fishes his home waters as well as half way across the world.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Here is a story I have been intending to write and now seems to be the appropriate time.

Back in the 80's the fishing club I was active with did annual springtime casting weekends at the Wulff Fly Fishing School on the upper Beaverkill. In about 1986, while Joan taught, Lee asked my good buddy and me to join him on one of the casting ponds. He wished to share the prototypes of a new fly line taper (Triangle Taper) with us and explain the concept. As most know, Lee was a tall, lanky man with very long arms and, having grown up in Alaska, was a life long fisherman. He had developed his own unique technique in which he back cast rather side, almost underhand, and came back with a nearly overhead forecast. This was all executed gracefully and, with his long, open armed stroke, with as much power as he chose to apply. His style eschewed the long 9' rods which had begun to dominate rod design at that time and famously favored short rods for both trout and salmon fishing. Orvis had just, with much fanfare, introduced the first ever 2-weight rod at that time and I brought one up to garner Lee's opinion. He had disdain not only for it, but for the whole light-line trend in fly rods in general. Yes, he explained, he liked little short rods but for more substantive line weights. Harry Wilson at Scott was custom building 6'10" (I think that was the length) graphite rods for #6 line especially for Lee. Lee illustrated that with 6-weight line he could generate very tight loops capable of turning, along with a long leader, a fly over in the air allowing it to waft to the stream's surface with consummate delicacy. With the lower mass of the very light lines, he pointed out, that significantly less in air and on water control was available and, with the commensurately softer tip of such rods, line more readily unfurled upon the water. Lee's view, which I adopted and have reproved to myself over and over again, is that light line unfurling on the water may "feel" delicate to the angler but sends surface shock waves to the rising trout whereas turning the line over in the air with some power facilitates not only control over the fly and tippet descending to the water first but also in-air reaches and mends for superior dead drifts of the fly.

As in so many of the fly fishing "firsts" achieved by Lee Wulff, he gave considerable thought based on long and adventurous experience to each of his ideas.
moucheur2003 likes this.