The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 AM

Raul Padilla is on a distinguished road
Default have a Good day

it is my first post, i wish learn about fly fishing, and it is the best place.

Wath is your opinion about the Powell TiMax, i need take a desition if i buy an used Powell TiMax in a very good condition or a new Orvis ClearWater II.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: have a Good day

Hi Raul,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about the Powell TiMax so I won't comment on them. Maybe someone else will help you out.

Frank
Old 01-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Hi Frank, thanks for your answer, my question is about the long contoversy about, overseas vs USA made fly Rods, i think Orvis low end and Powell are made overseas (China), i have orvis rods made in USA, but i know many rods area now made in china, are all the same rods with diferents brands?

Thx
Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group!

I don't know any specifics about that particular rod but I can tell you that a Powell Tiboron I cast in 2002 (think they were still USA made then) was a friggin rocket.

While there may be some multiple branding of the same rods made overseas, I don't think this is all that common.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Hey Raul,

There is a controversy about USA vs. other country fly rods - unfortunately. It depends on quality control of the actual building of the rod and materials used.

The two rods you mentioned aren't familiar to me but that doesn't mean anything. It depends on the kind of fishing you have in mind; small streams, rivers, saltwater flats, lakes, inshore, etc. Also, just as important - your experience level with casting fly rods; if you are a neophyte, I would start out with a easy casting rod. Go to a local fly shop (if practical) and cast their rods or the above mentioned rods, many shops will let you cast them before you can buy them. Also, see if they offer any workshops/clinics on fly fishing to take time off the learning curve. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Bienvenido y saludos muy cordiales desde Albuquerque. Thomas.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM

Cliff, i think the same, quality control and technology is the most important, and technic of casting is the most important, recently i see a friend casting very beatifull long distances using a "chine rod buy in Argentina, very chep"

Thomas, es bueno saber que hablas espaƱol, hay palabras o frases que a veces no se traducir, i fish minly in lakes, never rivers.

Thanks