The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: decisions, decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
This right here is complete BS.. Earlier this summer I broke my L-Tech due to stupidity.. had it sitting in the crack between the cab and bed of my truck while dealing with the leader.. and i went to grab it.. and it caught on something and it snapped.. I printed off my receipt off the cabelas website and walked into the nearest cabelas.. the guy goes "wow you got a hell of a deal!"(as I think I only paid $120 or so for the rod) and handed me a new rod.. no questions asked other than "Can i see your drivers license".. and zero.. zilch.. nada.. paid... that's right $0 to have it replaced..

Now they did give me a new receipt.. and told me that for $20.. they could upload this current receipt to my acct so that i could easily print it off next time i have a warranty claim.. or I could just hold on to my now paper copy of the receipt.. I opted to keep the $20 in my pocket and added the receipt to my manila envelope that is designated for any warranty information

Overall I really enjoy my L-Tech 6wt.. The only thing I wish it had was a fighting butt.. Otherwise a solid rod overall.. I purchased this rod mainly due to the fact that my buddy also has an L-Tech in a 5wt that he loves and I have had the opportunity to cast as well.. he too has also had to use the warranty on his rod with no complaints at all..

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

I'd also like to add that I can toss a T-14 10' sink tip with my 6wt L-Tech too.. just to give you an idea of how much this rod can handle
NOT BS AT ALL. It has just been mine, and everybody else I know (in all fairness we go to the same Cabela's) experience with house brand fly rods and breakage. I had a cabelas traditional and busted it at six months old, had receipt, the rod was in good shape but I fell on it. Took it back to Cabelas and no bueno. I hadn't bought a warranty and I talked to two fly shop employees and a manager who explained to me that when its your fault on these rods and you don't have the warranty there is nothing you can do.

Your more pleasant experience may have been different than mine due to the staff, local policies, or just the different store.

Everybody I know who has had a cabelas rod and busted it without the warranty (granted maybe only 4 or 5 people) has had no luck getting the store to replace it. So don't call BS. I have no idea why they would or would not replace a rod, but this has just been my experience.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 PM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
NOT BS AT ALL. It has just been mine, and everybody else I know (in all fairness we go to the same Cabela's) experience with house brand fly rods and breakage. I had a cabelas traditional and busted it at six months old, had receipt, the rod was in good shape but I fell on it. Took it back to Cabelas and no bueno. I hadn't bought a warranty and I talked to two fly shop employees and a manager who explained to me that when its your fault on these rods and you don't have the warranty there is nothing you can do.

Your more pleasant experience may have been different than mine due to the staff, local policies, or just the different store.

Everybody I know who has had a cabelas rod and busted it without the warranty (granted maybe only 4 or 5 people) has had no luck getting the store to replace it. So don't call BS. I have no idea why they would or would not replace a rod, but this has just been my experience.
There is no way I would morally expect ANY manufacturer to replace a rod (or any item for that matter) that I mistreated (whipped a brick wall, ran over, or fell on). Manufacturers that DO replace rods (or other items), no questions asked, factor those types (of people and incidents) into the cost and pass it on to others.

On a good note about Cabelas, I had a CGR rod break at the ferrule on a back cast. They replaced it. I sent it in, they sent me a new one. I've never had a bad experience with Cabelas, except their turducken tastes gross.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
There is no way I would morally expect ANY manufacturer to replace a rod (or any item for that matter) that I mistreated (whipped a brick wall, ran over, or fell on). Manufacturers that DO replace rods (or other items), no questions asked, factor those types (of people and incidents) into the cost and pass it on to others.

On a good note about Cabelas, I had a CGR rod break at the ferrule on a back cast. They replaced it. I sent it in, they sent me a new one. I've never had a bad experience with Cabelas, except their turducken tastes gross.
I was just responding to itchmesir. I would not expect this of any manufacturer. This is the reason why I am still buying cabelas rods on occasion.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
I was just responding to itchmesir. I would not expect this of any manufacturer. This is the reason why I am still buying cabelas rods on occasion.
Gotcha!

There are a lot of good rods out there, and I know we all love to ask for advice on boards, but dang it, this is the most personal portion of the mechanics of fly fishing. We can get advice from each other, but in the end, we need to make the decision on our own, based on cost, action, feel, casting style and situation, weight, price, country of origin, intentions, etc. I spend more time researching a fly rod than the car I drive.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

I ended up getting the L-tech. Unlike some people, I think the rod looks pretty sweet. It was also on sale for $160 dollars and i also got a code making it $20 off. So the final price was only $140. It's probably just me but also tested out the BVK and I didn't like how fast it was. Thanks for the input.