The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default decisions, decisions

I want to purchase a new 6 wt rod and I've narrowed it down to two rods, the Cabela's L-tech and the TFO BVk. They are originally priced the same but the Cabelas it $100 off on the cabelas website. This money could go to a better reel. I was wondering if anyone had used these rods and could tell me which one to get. Most people say good things about both rods. On the flip side, I've heard that the TFO is like fishing with a broom stick and that the Cabela's has broken for many people. and how are the warranties for both rods?

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 PM
sbreech

Default Re: decisions, decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I want to purchase a new 6 wt rod and I've narrowed it down to two rods, the Cabela's L-tech and the TFO BVk. They are originally priced the same but the Cabelas it $100 off on the cabelas website. This money could go to a better reel. I was wondering if anyone had used these rods and could tell me which one to get. Most people say good things about both rods. On the flip side, I've heard that the TFO is like fishing with a broom stick and that the Cabela's has broken for many people. and how are the warranties for both rods?

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.
From the two rods you have chosen, I'd pick the L-tech. I've cast one before, and it was pretty nice - and it looks total bad__s. Before I'd get the BVK, though, I'd look strongly at either the St. Croix Imperial (Cabelas) or find a Sage Vantage (Ebay), both in your price range, but still cheaper than the BVK. The Sage is made here in the USA and the St. Croix made in North America (read that as Mexico / USA mix).
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have a St Croix Imperial 4wt,,,and I have to agree with Mr. sbreech,,,cause I also have a BVK 5wt..the BVK,,umm,,doesn't have the touch of the St Croix,,but again,,the BVK is a very fast action rod. It does have 'good' touch,,but the St Croix Imperial 4 wt is a bit more sensitive cause it's 'more' of a moderate action. Both rods cast really well,,,the Imperial will load better at a shorter distance. On the other hand, the BVK will toss a fly wayyyyy down range.
I use the BVK for a lake/river/boat rod (primarily bass and larger fish than our trout) and the Imperial as an all purpose trout rod.
I am really impressed with BOTH rods,,for what they are intended to be. Keep in mind that they are different line weight rods..and what I have said with a grain of salt.

I would 'think' that a ST Croix 6wt would be a good caster and a wonderful rod if you are targeting heavier fish.

Mike
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 AM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

I have the BVK and the L-Tech. The BVK is a 9' 5wt and the L-Tech is the 9' 6wt. I personally prefer the BVK. Understand that one man's treasure is another man's poison.

I prefer the BVK. I don't find that it lacks subtle touch or feel. It is a very fast action rod but you can feel it load easily. It has good presentation as well. I fished a lot of dries with it on technical tailwaters and it does a great job.

The L-Tech is a nice fly rod as well. It just lacks that extra something that for me the BVK has. The warranty on the BVK is MUCH better as well. If you break it it is $25 for a new one from the factory no questions asked. Break the L-Tech on the other hand and if it was your fault you are out of luck unless you purchase a warranty with it.

I find the L-Tech is close to the BVK in performance for me, but just not as nice to fish with. I've had some minor issues with the reel seat and am just a little scared that one of these days the rod is going to break.

I also own a St. Croix Imperial 7'6" 4wt which is a nice rod.
theboz likes this.

Last edited by trout sniper; 12-29-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:33 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
I personally prefer the L-Tech. Understand that one man's treasure is another man's poison.

I prefer the BVK. I don't find that it lacks subtle touch or feel. It is a very fast action rod but you can feel it load easily. It has good presentation as well. I fished a lot of dries with it on technical tailwaters and it does a great job.
Why did you say you preferred the L-Tech? Just a bit confused by your answer... Is there something that it does better than the BVK? The rest of your comment doesn't seem to insinuate so. Guessing the first line quoted was a typo?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

I am not sure who makes the Cabelas rods...especially that series...but if you can test one...that would be a good way to make your choice...TFO Finesse series is a good deal, and are exceptional rods...I have not cast the BVK...I think it took the place of the finesse series, which were great...

TFO's return and replace policy is A-1...so is Cabelas to a degree...my suggestion is to try some out...there are too may factors in buying a rod that can have a totally good or bad result for different anglers...

websites just dont cut it ...marketing is what they are all about...the convienience of the internet is cool...but if there is a bass pro or cabelas etc nearby you could at least handle one...or similar...BP and cabelas both carry TFO...BP has its own line similar too...

a local fly shop is a great place to try one out usually...which is more $$...but at least you will be sure you leave w/ what you know is good for you...it takes a while to know what you really like too...

its probably why I have been building my own for so long...which is always a good course too...JMHO...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
Why did you say you preferred the L-Tech? Just a bit confused by your answer... Is there something that it does better than the BVK? The rest of your comment doesn't seem to insinuate so. Guessing the first line quoted was a typo?
Meant to say I prefer the BVK. I was thinking of both fly rods at the time and did the thing where you write one thing because you are thinking about it and mean another. Tis a typo.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i have the 6 wt l tech i bought it pretty much just for smallmouth fishing although i heve used it for throwing big streamers and heavy nymph rigs for trout. its a good rod for the money. its fast doesnt have the touch of my scotts or my winstons but then its a fraction of the price and not intended for that. it does a nice job chucking big streamers sometimes i put a 7 line on it.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post

The L-Tech is a nice fly rod as well. It just lacks that extra something that for me the BVK has. The warranty on the BVK is MUCH better as well. If you break it it is $25 for a new one from the factory no questions asked. Break the L-Tech on the other hand and if it was your fault you are out of luck unless you purchase a warranty with it.

This right here is complete BS.. Earlier this summer I broke my L-Tech due to stupidity.. had it sitting in the crack between the cab and bed of my truck while dealing with the leader.. and i went to grab it.. and it caught on something and it snapped.. I printed off my receipt off the cabelas website and walked into the nearest cabelas.. the guy goes "wow you got a hell of a deal!"(as I think I only paid $120 or so for the rod) and handed me a new rod.. no questions asked other than "Can i see your drivers license".. and zero.. zilch.. nada.. paid... that's right $0 to have it replaced..

Now they did give me a new receipt.. and told me that for $20.. they could upload this current receipt to my acct so that i could easily print it off next time i have a warranty claim.. or I could just hold on to my now paper copy of the receipt.. I opted to keep the $20 in my pocket and added the receipt to my manila envelope that is designated for any warranty information

Overall I really enjoy my L-Tech 6wt.. The only thing I wish it had was a fighting butt.. Otherwise a solid rod overall.. I purchased this rod mainly due to the fact that my buddy also has an L-Tech in a 5wt that he loves and I have had the opportunity to cast as well.. he too has also had to use the warranty on his rod with no complaints at all..

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

I'd also like to add that I can toss a T-14 10' sink tip with my 6wt L-Tech too.. just to give you an idea of how much this rod can handle

Last edited by itchmesir; 12-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

A series of rods that has been developed to be very tough and sweet to cast is the ECHO3's from Rajeff Sports. I like my BVK#6 OK but have replaced it with the Rajeff model because it casts with more feeling but just as much if not more power. Like the BVK it is designed here but built in Korea. The Cabela's model is built in China and I have never cast one and probably won't but that does not make it a bad rod.