The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By db cooper
  • 2 Post By Kerry Pitt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Has anyone ever cast a Winston WT in the 9 foot range?

Im thinking of picking up a 9' 4wt Winston WT but having trouble pulling the trigger. I love the 8.5 and 8' very much but i have never laid eyes on the 9' and being a WT i cant just go cast one...even the rep doesn't have one! I want to make sure this dog will hunt. In an older winston catalog, Tom Morgan says this rod will fish to normal distances of 65' which is fine for a 4wt...but i just want some first hand comparison!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Has anyone ever cast a Winston WT in the 9 foot range?

I agree that Morgans 8 and 8 1/2' rods had charm but, though I have no experience with 9' models, that was not his thing. I rely a lot on more potent 9'/#4's and have fine ones from Scott and Loomis. In H2, Orvis will produce a tip-flex version that may bare waiting till spring for.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

everybody likes something different but im not a fan of the 9' winston too "tippy" for me. love the 8 and 81/2 but the 9 footers just dont do it for me. love my 9 foot scott g2s but not a fan of the winstons if that gives you some comparison value.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

WT in a 9' 4wt is a mistake in my opinion. I agree with the 8' 5" and 8' for dry fly casting maybe the best dry fly rods I have ever used. I still have a 8' 3 wt WT and will never part with it. The extra length is nice in a faster action rod but in a WT the extra length just breaks down under weight (double nymph rigs) and in the wind. Do not get me wrong you can use it for what ever you want but there just seems to be better options in a 9' 4 wt.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I ended up not buying the rod due to the fact i couldn't cast it first. While its true that longer rods tend to be slower, the WT series is odd in the fact that my 8.5x4 is more crisp than my 8x4 or my 8x4 tmf. I was hoping that the 9x4 was more crisp yet, though a friend of mine pointed out that the BIIIX 9x4 was in fact a bit more powerful and lighter and 4pc! I ended up going that route instead.
fishngolf16 and trout sniper like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

If there is one thing I have found, it is that rod action and one's ability to adapt to it is a very personal thing. I do not think it is a skill thing as much as just what we are tuned to, if that makes sense. I grew up casting mismatched everything so for me any outfit can work but I have had trouble with some of the high end rods simply because it takes so damned much line to load them and because you have to play with so many lines to find the right one. If it feels right I cast it, if it doesn't I don't. Sorry for the pre-coffee ramble.
fly_guy12955 and leithel like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

I think you made a wise decision. I am partial to Winston rods; my wife has a
9' 5wt B3x which is a dream to cast; my favorite is a 9' 6wt B2x which is crisper than the 5wt B2x. I have a 9' 5wt WT which is too sloppy for me. I have been told the 8 or 8 1/2 in that series are crisper. I prefer my old Sage SLT. I have a 9' 5wt B2MX which I have overlined with 6wt but still not a close in rod.
I think the various rods in each Winston series are substantially different and one should test each before buying.
barham
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I ended up not buying the rod due to the fact i couldn't cast it first. While its true that longer rods tend to be slower, the WT series is odd in the fact that my 8.5x4 is more crisp than my 8x4 or my 8x4 tmf. I was hoping that the 9x4 was more crisp yet, though a friend of mine pointed out that the BIIIX 9x4 was in fact a bit more powerful and lighter and 4pc! I ended up going that route instead.
You will not regret your decision to go with a BIIIx. I am a fast action rod guy and this is the perfect compromise of power, touch, and feel. I recently bought a BIIIx and it lays dries all the way to size 20 down gently. And yet it is not lost with a heavy indicator rig.