The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road
Default rods, east and west

So, I fish the north east, mid-atlantic and some times the south-east rivers and streams. I have heard sage builds rods for the western streams. I have sage rods from the 90's and they fish fine. I'm ready to get a 6wt for winter nymph fishing and wet fiys. I currently use a thomson and thomson 8'6" 5wt. it is ok but can not handle heavier nymphs or wets or dropper rigs to good. What are good eastern rods for this typ of fishing.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: rods, east and west

well, I don't quite understand how a rod knows east from west, but here are a couple of threads that might help. Maybe think in terms of type of water, size of flies and species of fish rather than geography.

Eastern Rods - Western Rods?

Orvis or Sage?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Thank's they were great forums. I guese that answers my quetion. Some rods are built to handle big water, some to handle small streams and rivers.I wonder if it would be worth it to replace the T&T 5wt with a really good 6wt rod. T&T was a mid priced rod, works fine with drys but is a bear with dropper rigs.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Your T&T 5wt is completely capable of handling weighted nymphs, wets, dropper rigs and streamer fishing. You will have to alter you casting technique to accommodate the difference flies you are casting, but that 8'6" 5wt is long considered the "do-all" rod. What is it that makes you say it cannot handle nymphs, wets, and droppers?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Lots of times the back cast gets messed up, Your right; it is probably the way i cast when i have a dropper on. I also think now i might be not using the proper size leader and tippet when using heaveir nymphs or streamers.I use a 6x or 5x normally. maybe i should try a 4x or a 3x.What would you recomend. Thank's
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

The reason i often don't find 9x5 rods great at anything is because i think the rod designers make them to be the universal trout rod. Universal means a lot of things. Drys, streamers, nymphs, sink tip, floating etc. A trout stream can be a lot of things from the big, wide, windy rivers of the west, the the tree lined AuSable in Michigan, to the creeks of the drifltess region. Rod designers have to keep in mind that their 9x5 will be fished in all of these conditions by many people. People need to be honest about the rivers they fish and the distances in which they cast. They need to try rods that match these conditions and not the conditions they *hope to fish one day. It was not until i reached this point in my journey of knowledge that i was table to tell a good rod from a great rod from a bad rod.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1 View Post
Lots of times the back cast gets messed up, Your right; it is probably the way i cast when i have a dropper on. I also think now i might be not using the proper size leader and tippet when using heaveir nymphs or streamers.I use a 6x or 5x normally. maybe i should try a 4x or a 3x.What would you recomend. Thank's
You certainly want to tailor your leader size to the flies you are fishing. A 6x tippet, at the end of a long leader is usually meant to fish dry flies in sizes #16 and smaller. Sometimes you may want a 6x tippet for nymph fishing but it would be a special circumstance.

Streamer fisherman generally use a short, level leader. You will never turn over a streamer with a 5x tippet, nor will you likely keep a fish than drills the streamer.

It sounds like you need to practice loading the rod on your back cast. Stop fast and high and on the forward cast try to open the loop by dropping the rod tip after the stop.

You have a great fly rod, though it may not be perfect at every task, it is a more than capable tool. Learn how to use it. Practice.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Wide loops and slow casts when nymphing. Watch your line behind and in front. Use the current and use slow roll casts as much as possible.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, if an 8 1/2 ft rod is generally better tuned than a 9ft rod,,,,,,,,,,,,what happens if you jumped to a 10 ft rod. All in the same wt class, same manufacture,,same model,,say 4wt's. What does it add,,and what does it subtract from performance ?

Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Ok, if an 8 1/2 ft rod is generally better tuned than a 9ft rod,,,,,,,,,,,,what happens if you jumped to a 10 ft rod. All in the same wt class, same manufacture,,same model,,say 4wt's. What does it add,,and what does it subtract from performance ?

Mike
well, generally, you can cast farther and mend easier, but that depends on manufacturer and model.