The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Bailey Yellowstone Rods

Been looking around for a Salmon/Steelhead set-up without breaking the bank. Saw that Dan Bailey's got the 8wt Yellowstone rod for $70, but can find no info about them... anybody use one, hear anything about them etc. Recognizing that it won't be the best thing available, and that at $70 it's not a huge investment, is it worth the trouble? Serviceable for great lakes salmon? I'd likely pair it with an Allen Alpha II (possibly SA System 2).
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Bailey Yellowstone Rods

No dice, huh? I think I'll give it a go for that price... I cant imagine Dan Bailey would put out an utter piece of junk.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have one in a 6WT, but I have only lawn cast it that was 2 years ago so I can't comment. I got it in a package deal from a guy, he wouldn't come down on price for his Bauer reel so he offered to throw it in.

I don't remember casting it going "wow" or "ugggh" so I can't be much help oter than it felt fine and is probably pretty good.

Someone told me but I could be 100% wrong that the Dan Bailey rods were made by TFO.....just what I was told

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
I cant imagine Dan Bailey would put out an utter piece of junk.
The Dan Bailey shop of today is not the shop of the past. I went there really long ago. Back when they still had all the women tying flies. I went back there about 5 or 6 years ago. Other than the name on the sign I didn't recognize anything. So I'm not sure that counts for anything anymore. I'd do some research before I pulled the trigger on it.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM

I've searched the forum and google, and the only info I can really find about Bailey branded gear is the waders. I could certainly afford to spend a bit more, but it's tempting at $70. As far as "not putting out utter junk," I was just speculating that it would at least be functional, even if it only ended up spending its life as a backup. Considering the dearth of options for 8-9 weights in the <$150 range I might take a gamble... I'll think on it a bit more.