The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod Action and Sensitivity on Small Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
We're not reinventing the wheel here or splitting Atoms, just trying to get a fish to take our fly, so why over complicate something that's suppose to be fun?
I meant to say that too...really, learn to pick up a rod that works and feels good and go fish. The rest will take care of itself.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Most every river and creek I fish is small by the definition presented. If I want a superior dry fly presentation, I'm generally fishing a 3 wt. My go to 3 wt at this point for dry fly only fishing is a Sage LL 389-2 with a long delicate taper fly line - currently a SA Trout Stalker. But I'm rarely fishing only dry flies. If I want to minimize false casts, for me I step up to a faster 3 - Sage XP 386-4. I can dry dropper this rod and it's extremely accurate hitting my spots. If I have any wind or am going to throw some heavier stuff, I will reach for ZXL's 486-4 and 490-4. Sometimes I simply fish a rod because that's the rod/reel combination I feel like fishing with - I can catch fish with damn near any rod I pull out.

Cheers,
Mike.
imxer and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

For me, this is the most important rod in my quiver, as I fish this type of water most. I personally, don't care for #2's or #3's, as they don't handle wind well, and lack power to efficiently handle a hopper/dropper or two nymph rig. My favorites seem to be 8'6" rods either #4 or #5. Shorter rods are nice and light, but are harder to efficiently mend with, and 9' or longer rods just feel cumbersome and out of place in tighter quarters with shorter casts.

The rods that I fish the most are the Beulah Platinum #4, 8'8", Sage Z-Axis #4, 8'6", and Thomas & Thomas Light Presentation #4, 8'6" - all different animals but each has their own charm. I have fished and own a lot of rods in this category, most are satisfactory (like the 3 previously mentioned) but I haven't found nirvana.

Most rods that I have tried in this range tend to be either a little too stiff for finesse or too slow and soft with lack of power to deal with multi-fly rigs or wind. I almost feel like I need to take two rods with me on the stream to deal with every situation. Probably, it is an unreasonable expectation to find a single rod to do it all. But, it is sure fun to keep trying to find one. This spring, I hope to test out a Hardy Zenith and one of the new G. Loomis NRX Light Presentation rods.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

OK, I am truly lost amongest the trees now. I was saving for a Superfine Touch,,,now I'm hesitant. I once had a far and fine,,loved it.....but IF there is a better choice,,,,,,I'd be interested.

Could someone,,explain little kids terms.... why a Superfine would be 'too soft' or ,,,not have control,,,,,,,,,,,and if a fast action with a quick tip ONE or Zenith WOULD be a better presentation rod and excel over the Superfine for feel AFTER the fish is Hooked ? The makers of slow action rods really tout the control, accuracy and feel....so ..............

All I'm after is the best choice I can have in a dry fly rod...for small to med streams and say,,,50 to 60 ft cast would be the extreme I'd ever toss it.....

I have two Redington CT's 7 1/2ft 2wt-- and 8 1/2ft 3wt,,and honest to God I like the feel of them. I have an Orvis Access 8 1/2 ft 4wt that I think is a really great rod and is my most used rod right now. A St Croix Imperial 9ft 4wt..stiff'er,,less 'feel' of fish on and a BVK 5wt round out what I have. The BVK is to to cast long, catch bigger fish,,,,,,,,,,,,it doesn't have good 'fish on' feel on anything,,smaller than 14 or 15 inches. But, I figured that going in. The first three are good at short cast,,mega important to me,,the latter two less good,,the Imperial loads quicker than the BVK,,but still takes 15 to 20ft. The BVK ,,,I'm just not so fond of. I do understand one of these rods are on the level of a ONE or Zenith.

So, you see, I like the slower rods. I'm not too terribly technical but I do know what feels good to 'me',,,,,,without reguard to price, name or any of that. Physics aside, field experience from you pro's tend to build the argument that slower rods are also accurate and sensitive. I'm no pro,,but my own experience 'suggest' the same. This is not a knock against fast action rods,,but the caliber of fast actions a lot of you use, I know nothing about.

I probably outta use what I have and be content,,,but,,,I too have a bit of 'Gear Addiction'...

Ohh my head hurts.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
All I'm after is the best choice I can have in a dry fly rod...for small to med streams and say,,,50 to 60 ft cast would be the extreme I'd ever toss it.....
I think you just described ideal conditions for the Superfine Touch in the 8, 8-1/2' 4 or 5 weight range.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Jackster, my first choice on a Superfine would be 8 1/2 ft, 4wt. So, you tuned into my streams pretty good there !

Mike
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i think i like the 9ft 4wt g2 because i just feel so well rounded with it. I love it for fishing light weight nymph rigs i can slow my stroke a little open my loops a touch lift over currents and mend very easly with the 9 foot length. it has great touch with midges and 12 ft 7x which i fish often but if a i need to throw a size 6 bead head bugger i can. it may not be pretty but i can slap it out there well enough to catch fish. the medium fast action just seems to fit my natural casting stroke.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post

Could someone,,explain little kids terms.... why a Superfine would be 'too soft' or ,,,not have control,,,,,,,,,,,and if a fast action with a quick tip ONE or Zenith WOULD be a better presentation rod and excel over the Superfine for feel AFTER the fish is Hooked ? The makers of slow action rods really tout the control, accuracy and feel....so ..............
To me I used to hate rods like the superfine that were full flex / slow. If people are in my camp they are awful because as a new fly fisher I didn't have the patients or rhythm to cast one of these. On a slow rod a poor stroke will lead to piles of line at your feet vs layed out across the stream. Once I became a better caster and could moderate (slow down) my stroke and apply the power correctly I've started gravitating back to these type of rods vs the Helios/Zaxis type rocket launcher broomsticks. And yes you can be accurate with softer full flex rods.

It's like in golf when I used to play well (2hdcp) when you need to bust a long drive you focus more on slowing things down, smooth tempo leads to generating more speed/power through efficient mechanics.

Just my $.02
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Well guys, like I said, I once had a Far and Fine,,but,,I was not focused then as I am now..but I remember the touch that thing had well 'nuff that I want another full action rod. I will prob still go with my dream and hopefully finance a Superfine Touch a little later on. I want to put that CFO I got off of Casey on it. Maybe it's just,,my personal rhythm ,,that I cast slower rods better. I tend to end up with dries rolling out with all but a slap with fast rods...were'as I tend to be able to drift them down gently from the heavens with slower action.
Whatever it is,,I am very shy of super fast rods. Do not take that as me saying a better caster can not do with them what I wanna do with a full action. I am DEFINITELY on the 'still a lot to learn' level.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I would want a 9' - 9.5' medium action cane rod. F.E. Thomas made some that I like, as did Leonard. Thomas would provide the same model in six different "speeds", my favorite for the stated streams would be a moderate wet fly. (see http://overmywaders.com/images/large/Thomas39F&S.jpg )

The advantage of the wet fly rod is the mass in the tip. It requires but a flick of the wrist to cast as the rod is "self-loading" (not to be confused with "self-loathing" which is the condition you reach when you realize that your rod collection would support a small African village or the average US teenager). Minimal false-casting. Easy mending of line.

http://overmywaders.com