The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Default Streamer rod suggestion

Any suggestions for a good streamer rod? thanks!!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Streamer rod suggestion

What kind of fish? A normal trout streamer is a different cat than a Musky streamer.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

A trout/smallmouth rod
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

My go-to streamer rod is a Hardy Demon in 9ft 7wt. Decently fast action to handle the larger flies with enough backbone to handle large trout, smallies and largemouth.

In general, I would pick a rather fast action rod, likely a 6 or 7wt. A 5 would do it, but I'd go a bit bigger if stalking some larger examples of trout or smallmouth. Mate it up with a decent sink tip or sinking line and you are in like Flynn.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish mostly streamers with a Helios 9' 5 wt, does a great job if I stay within its boundaries. If night fishing or targeting larger browns I go up to a 7wt just to handle the larger streamers.

Dave
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I use my Sage XP 5 wt for the smaller stuff, 7wt BVK for the bigger stuff/fish
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

9x7 is the only way to go IMHO ESP if u want to get into modern streamers and sink tip lines. I like the winston biiisx.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I mainly use my Cabela's L-Tech 9' 6wt for streamers and sink tips.. Also the Redington Predator 6wt would be a good option too
drc likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM

surface film is on a distinguished road

I want something with a very stiff tip, which tends to be what most companies consider "moderate/fast" action as the rod flexes more in the low to mid section, but not so much in the tip...

Thomas & Thomas Horizon II in 7 weight has proven to be bomb proof for years for me!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM

Has anyone used the Scott S4 or the Sage VXP for streamers?