The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Inexpensive 8wts (Allen, Rise, etc)

Expanding on my previous posts, I'm looking for an 8wt for great lakes salmon, steelies, lake run browns and maybe the odd bass (would consider a 9, but I'm leaning towards sticking with evens to compliment my 4 and 6). Since nobody here, or anywhere else on the interwebs, seems to have any concrete info on that $70 Bailey Yellowstone I'm looking at other things. I probably won't use it more than 6-8 days a year tops, so I don't want to spend too much.

I'm leaning towards the Rise Balance, but am also curious about the Allen Compass which I can't find much info about.

Also considering the Redington CPX or Echo Ion. And if I was in the right mood I could possibly convince myself to dig a bit deeper for a TFO BVK or closeout Sage Flight, but I'd rather not spend that much.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Inexpensive 8wts (Allen, Rise, etc)

My Only experience with Rise is with a Level Series #7 and, with Rajeff Sports, the ECHO3 #9. I feel both are way above in the quality to price ratio in performance and build quality. However, I have no experience with their lower-end models.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Where are going to be fishing? On the lakes/harbors or the tributaries.

If you are going to be on tributaries, do you really need long casts or are they like most Indiana tributaries with a lot of overhanging brush?

The reason I ask is this - if you are fishing the Indiana streams, just buy something that has some backbone and don't worry about it's ability to cast long distances because you just won't need it.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

First, I don't know what inexpensive might mean to you.
I bought a Redington CPX 13'3" 8 wt rod from STP for almost exactly $200.
Once I got the right line for it (thanks everyone) it was pretty easy to cast long distances.
If that's what you need (long casts), then you might try that. It was one of the choices you mentioned.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Mostly I'll be using this rig on the Milwaukee and Root rivers, perhaps the harbors or inland lakes on the odd occasion. Overhead clearance isn't huge issue, nor is max distance, but then again I'm still pretty much a novice... So what do I know? I guess I'm mostly interested in an all-arounder for the moment. I'd like to cover the rig mostly with fantasy football winnings, so about 245 or so. I picked up an Okuma SLV cheap and SA Pro line, so that's taken care of. So i'd like to pick up the rod, ideally, for about 175 or less.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
Mostly I'll be using this rig on the Milwaukee and Root rivers, perhaps the harbors or inland lakes on the odd occasion. Overhead clearance isn't huge issue, nor is max distance, but then again I'm still pretty much a novice... So what do I know? I guess I'm mostly interested in an all-arounder for the moment. I'd like to cover the rig mostly with fantasy football winnings, so about 245 or so. I picked up an Okuma SLV cheap and SA Pro line, so that's taken care of. So i'd like to pick up the rod, ideally, for about 175 or less.
Based on this, I'd stay away from that particular Redington that I mentioned.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
If you sign up for the daily discount email list at Sierra Trading Post, and wait for a day when the discounts are steeper, you can probably pick up a Powell Tiboron XL for not a lot over $100. They originally listed for $350. Nice rods if you like rods that are light and fast, but not so stiff that they require overlining. I've got one in both 8 and 9 weights. The quality of the cork grip is nothing to brag about, but hey, a hundred bucks.

STP is also selling some closeout Ross rods that you might be able to get even cheaper. Some of the Ross models have been well reviewed, but I've never cast them so I couldn't opine myself.

If you wanted to move up toward the $250 range I would suggest the TFO BVK.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM

My 6wt is a Powell Tiboron XL from STP. I like it well enough, but the prices on those at STP have gone up quite a bit.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Compass Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 AM

With the daily deal at STP the Redington CPX is 35% off. They've got it in a number of lengths I'm inclined to want a 9' 6", which they do have available. I can't say for sure exactly why I want that extra 6", but I do. Or do I? I don't know, it seems like it would be the thing to do for throwing streamers and egg patterns. Also, for some reason, I have a strange aversion to Redington as a brand with no really rational basis... perhaps the snob in me that likes handmade boutique guitars, rare obscure scotch, and craft beers thinks it's too mainstream.

Still thinking about the Allen and Rise (perhaps drawn to them because of the same urge that pushes me away from Redington). Has anybody gotten their hands on the new Allens? I've got got faith that they'll perform quite well for the price point as they always do (I'm quite happy with my Trout 5/7 reel).

BTW, my Powell is actually an SSL, not a Tiboron.