The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default BVK or Eastfork

Can anyone make a comparison with these rods? I'm thinking about going with the BVK or Eastfork in a 9' 5wt. I'll be mostly trout fishing the Colorado front range small to medium rivers and as big as the North Platte.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BVK or Eastfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout333 View Post
Can anyone make a comparison with these rods? I'm thinking about going with the BVK or Eastfork in a 9' 5wt. I'll be mostly trout fishing the Colorado front range small to medium rivers and as big as the North Platte.
I have cast the BVK and thought it was a nice rod for the money. Haven't cast the Eastfork, but some of those mid-line-weight Loomises are a tad fast and need overlining. The 4 weight Eastfork with a 5 weight line might be a better apples- to-apples comparison (than the 5 weight Eastfork) to the 5 weight BVK.

The are both dependable and well made enough to do the job. Ultimately it's a subjective decision. You should just test cast them (for 25' to 35' delicacy and accuracy where you will probably be doing most of your fishing, not only gut-busting distance) and pick the one that feels better in your own hand.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have not cast the Loomis Eastfork therefore can not address its merits. My BVK#6 likes to be overlined by a 1/2 size; I have it rigged with RIO Grande, so I wonder if the #5 might not be similar. I have been recommending the ECHO3 of late in the mid-price-point category; I have the #6 which I prefer relative to the BVK and cast a straight #6 with it...an Airflo Ridge Tactical Trout which is a perfect match. There is a new Rise Level 5-weight that I hope to cast at the Somerset Show in a couple of weeks that I am optimistic about as I love its #7 sibling.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have owned both. I had a Loomis Eastfork in a 4pc, 7wt, 9ft...and still have a BVK 9ft, 8wt, 4pc. The Eastfork was a very nice casting rod, definitely slower than the BVK. I liked it on smaller Steelhead streams because it loaded very easily. The BVK is just as nice a caster, but a faster action and lighter in weight. I chose the BVK mainly for the warranty. TFO has a great warranty, maybe the best in the business. Loomis...not so much. In the end the Eastfork got sold on the big E auction site.

Hope this helps.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

The Eastfork did feel a little more powerful than the BVK but the BVK seemed lighter and more sensitive. Hmmm I'm gonna cast them both with the new reel and see how that feels. I do have a 6 weight for streamers and 4 weight for dries so this rod needs to do it all as usual...

Thanks for the input. It was helpful.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

If you are looking to cast a fly more than 60 feet, definitely go for the BVK. The Eastfork will do it but with more effort. With my 8wt BVK I can hit the 90foot mark easily.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

Basically what I am saying is don't correlate light weight with less power. With today's new resins, the new ultra light weight rods are as powerful, if not more powerful, than their older more heavy siblings.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.