The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default CGR owners ...

Have any of you over lined the rods?

I've 6'6 4wt, thinking to use a WF5 on it?

What are your thoughts or experiences with overlining this particular rod or any in the range?

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: CGR owners ...

What exactly is a CGR?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I bet he is referring to the Cabela's Glass Rod (fiberglass).

And nice avatar by the way. Great minds......
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have one myself, but from what I've read about them, if they have a single line designation .. that's the size you should use.
If they have a double line designation (like 5/6) the lower size is the more popular.

I have a lot of the vintage glass rods and while it's not a solid fact, the faster rod action that most people are comfortable with today requires using a lighter weight line than what's indicated on the rod.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah,
i bought one a couple months ago but have yet to fish it(c'mon spring!)
mine is the 7' 4/5 weight. nice little rod for 50.00, and i have a cortland trout boss wf5-f line for it.
it's supposed to be a decent weekend here weather wise, and i'm planning on doing a little yard casting to see how it feels. i also have an airflo ridge tactical wf4-f and a no name dt5-f line that i plan on testing.
i'll give these lines a go and let you know what works for me

casey
s fontinalis likes this.

ARFE
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

CGR -Cabelas Custom Glass Rod, now updated to CGT, which, while only released late last year, are already on sale online at 15% off

The CGR's arent available online any longer, but some stores still have stock for about $50 each

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I overline a 7'6" ancient glass rod (6wt with 7wt wf) just because it feels good to me and I only fish the rod very close in. Put some lines on it and try it out. That's the only way to get the answer. It doesn't just depend on the rod....it depends on what you like and how you intend to fish it. -m
caseywise and s fontinalis like this.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

My CGR 3wt handles a WF4 just fine. Handles a WF3 just fine, too.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I pulled out the rod you speak of and played with it in the lawn with both a 4 and 5wt line (both lines WF SA Trout) earlier today. The 5wt was good close in, but getting too much line out started to over power the rod. In my hands, the 4wt felt better. It tracked better at longer distances and didn't seem to over power the rod. A 4wt DT might be a little better, but I didn't have time to spool up another reel. The CGR's at only $50 bucks are a heck of a deal, not too impressed with the CGT though. Hope this helped a little...

-Chase
Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

eunan,
i took cgr out for some test casting today and found that, although the wf4 line worked pretty well, the rod came to life when i tried the trout boss wf5.
the dt5 just did not work for me i felt was too much heft and the rod didn't respond nearly as well as it did with the wf5.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

boy i can't wait for spring!!

casey
s fontinalis likes this.

ARFE