The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Cabelas CGT glass rods ?

All the reviews I've read so far seem positive. Anyone here have one or cast one yet ? I'm thinking the 7' 3wt would be fun. I don't "need" one but I think I "want" one and they're on sale.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:03 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cabelas CGT glass rods ?

I have played with a good majority of them (lawn casting only), and it's safe to say that they are quite a bit faster action than the CGR series. I personally like the CGR series better, but the CGT is still a pretty good deal.

-Chase
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Sounds good cause I prefer a bit faster action than the first series. Thanks. Did you feel a need to upline them ? Some reviews suggest that.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

If you prefer a faster action glass rod, then these may feel better to you than the CGR. I used the recommended line weight for each rod, and felt they performed fine with that. 2wt line on 2wt rod, etc. If you get one, let us know how you like it!

-Chase
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM

Will do. Thanks Chase.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I have several and the more i cast them the more i dont like them. I like the idea and the spigot ferrule was a cool feature...but none of them cast great. The 7' 4/5 for example has a floppy tip and a stiff but section making for a very hinged rod incapable of doing anything very well. They also lack line feel which is rare. All in all they cast like a $75 chinese rod which is exactly what they are. Guys clamor about them because they are glass which is trendy these days but there is a difference in good glass and junk glass...these fall into the later unfortunately.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I have several and the more i cast them the more i dont like them. I like the idea and the spigot ferrule was a cool feature...but none of them cast great. The 7' 4/5 for example has a floppy tip and a stiff but section making for a very hinged rod incapable of doing anything very well. They also lack line feel which is rare. All in all they cast like a $75 chinese rod which is exactly what they are. Guys clamor about them because they are glass which is trendy these days but there is a difference in good glass and junk glass...these fall into the later unfortunately.
This is kind of how I feel. They are a decent deal for entry level glass, but there is A LOT better out there if you are willing to pony up the coin. For less money I would rather buy a Redington CT or a CGR if given a choice.

-Chase
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I love my two CRG's . They have their own personality, and that is what I like.
I have several glass rods but I like the mixed as well which is nicely done in the CGR, the WW Griggs Vintage and the TL Johnson.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Well I guess patience pays. I finally got a CGT 6'6" 4wt today on sale $74.99 minus $10 card and $25 for using Cabelas Visa. So I payed $39.99+tax
Gonna try it out tomorrow. I'm thinking it feels more like a 5wt,but that's okay. Looks nice.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM

A little late but here's my update. The rod was fast,even with a 5wt Sylk line. But it's impressive regardless of material. Slow it ain't. I kinda like it for working small streams and searching for fish while covering the water. Also think it would be good for big fish in tight quarters. Not much need for a lot of false casting. Shoots line well.
Now if Cabelas could get a glass rod between this and the original then they'd have a winner. Ones too slow and ones a little too fast.
Joni likes this.