The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Look what followed me home today

So just did a little yard casting with it, pretty good. I will definitely have to wait til it warms up. My leader was coiled and it is 8 degrees so hard to say how well it was turning a little midge over.

I might also need to explore different line, all I have is SA textured trout stalker. With 30-40feet of line out it felt great but with less than 20 it didn't really feel that great. I heard the trout stalker was a heavy to rating line weight, but I am not sure after this. I've read a few of you like the Rio Gold or Grand on this rod, so maybe that's the ticket.

I will have to put on something bigger than a size 22 RS2 and try it out again when it warms up.

Good thing the rivers are frozen over I have time to figure it out

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at a 390 Z-Axis, thinking it would make an excellent 4wt rod for the distances I cast.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I've been looking at a 390 Z-Axis, thinking it would make an excellent 4wt rod for the distances I cast.
ding ding ding we have a winner,

I got this 3wt Sage ONE to fill in the gap my 4wt Zaxis leaves as it is more of a 5wt than 4 just like you are saying

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

My #5 ONE is a 5-weight. I have tried heavier lines on it and flirted with Grande but once I got used to it I became convinced that it was meant to be mated to a RIO Gold. Having said that, I do like SA Tx Trout, which is not over sized it is a true to rating line, however, with a front taper of 12' for supreme delicacy, it is not going to load any rod especially scalpel-tipped ONE at 20'...just not enough mass out the tip top.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

And, Frank, if you want to try a #4 "distance" rod, what I would call a big river 4-weight to fish with dry flies in the side channels or on relatively calm days, try Loomis's NRX #4. I read and heard that NRX was the bomb in big line sizes but stank in the trout designations. I cast the #4 at Somerset last year and ordered one while there. I have fished it on the W.Br. Delaware, Henry's Fork, Missouri and on Silver Cr. out of a float tube and it is brilliant. Like Z-Axis, the tip is surprisingly gentle but reach a few inches below it into the midsection and you will find no whimpyness down there just pure Steve Rajeff peddle to the metal. Lesser 5-weights (and most are)...watch out, you could be relegated to the closet
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
My #5 ONE is a 5-weight. I have tried heavier lines on it and flirted with Grande but once I got used to it I became convinced that it was meant to be mated to a RIO Gold. Having said that, I do like SA Tx Trout, which is not over sized it is a true to rating line, however, with a front taper of 12' for supreme delicacy, it is not going to load any rod especially scalpel-tipped ONE at 20'...just not enough mass out the tip top.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

And, Frank, if you want to try a #4 "distance" rod, what I would call a big river 4-weight to fish with dry flies in the side channels or on relatively calm days, try Loomis's NRX #4. I read and heard that NRX was the bomb in big line sizes but stank in the trout designations. I cast the #4 at Somerset last year and ordered one while there. I have fished it on the W.Br. Delaware, Henry's Fork, Missouri and on Silver Cr. out of a float tube and it is brilliant. Like Z-Axis, the tip is surprisingly gentle but reach a few inches below it into the midsection and you will find no whimpyness down there just pure Steve Rajeff peddle to the metal. Lesser 5-weights (and most are)...watch out, you could be relegated to the closet

So I let my leader uncoil under tension in the warm house and it was much more apparent what the rod is doing. The trout stalker is awesome and you are right with 20+ feet out it feels great and turns over nicely so far.

For now my concern will be how it handles sub 20 feet of line in regards to roll casting. Possibly the tick heavier Rio Gold would be the ticket

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It is common knowledge, and Sage will tell you so, that ONE was designed with Gold as its test line. However, I feel that SA Expert Distance is equally appropriate. I have not fished Textured Trout on ONE, I have been using it on softer tipped Zenith #4 but I expect it would be a good line on your rod. It does though posses the Wulff Triangle Taper conundrum: if the front of the line is such an attenuated decreasing mass taper, how is it supposed to load the rod for a very short cast (assuming a 10 - 12' leader) since so little line mass is available? You will tell us when the weather warms but empiricaly a long front tapered line can not be optimal for very in close shots...it will do it but with reduced feeling and control.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
It is common knowledge, and Sage will tell you so, that ONE was designed with Gold as its test line. However, I feel that SA Expert Distance is equally appropriate. I have not fished Textured Trout on ONE, I have been using it on softer tipped Zenith #4 but I expect it would be a good line on your rod. It does though posses the Wulff Triangle Taper conundrum: if the front of the line is such an attenuated decreasing mass taper, how is it supposed to loads a the rod for a very short cast (assuming a 10 - 12' leader) since so little line mass is available? You will tell us when the weather warms but empiricaly a long front tapered line can not be optimal for very in close shots...it will do it but with reduced feeling and control.
Thank you for all the data points , I just put a different Rio line on a other sage rod that was " made for" the sage and it really did make a difference. I will be finding a dedicated reel for this rod over the next several months and when I do I will be getting the Rio Gold because I do roll cast in close a fair amount.

I am one of those guys that alot of times likes to take more than one rod when I go so was hoping for a consistent line for all my 3wts to eliminate more reel purchases.

Oh well not the end of the world, the rod feels great so far

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Nice rod and reel - CONGRATULATIONS

THORSTEN
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

Hey gang...
New guy to this forum.... because of this thread

I find myself torn between picking up a Z-Axis 390-4 or a One 390-4.
Is it safe to assume the Z-Axis is a tad slower with a softer tip ?

Love my Z-Axis 590-4 and my SLT 490-4...
Looking for a 9' 3wt soon.... Don't have a 3wt ... must get a Sage 3wt ....

Thanks and tight lines !
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Nice!!!
Hey, can I borrow your wife?