The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for a new rod.......

so you have 500 bucks for the rod or for an outfit, inc reel, line, backing, etc?

New or used?

Do you happen to own a rod already?

What action or flex rod do you prefer?

Is there a fly shop within 1,000 miles of you?

Where do you live? If you live in the east you must buy Orvis. In the west, Sage. In the midwest I guess you're screwed.

I'm sure the definitive answer is only a few posts away. good luck in your quest.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM

i suck at fishing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
That would be an easy question for me : Orvis Superfine Touch.
completely agree. Have one and it is great.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I know I'm wanting an Orvis Superfine Touch more than I did my first kid. It'll perform better I'm sure.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post

Where do you live? If you live in the east you must buy Orvis. In the west, Sage. In the midwest I guess you're screwed.

Got a kick out of that lol!

It's hard to recommend something without knowing some more information, but $500 will buy you pretty much any production rod that you desire if you do a little searching. I have a 9ft 5wt Z Axis that is seeing less and less use because I like my Steffen 5/6 better .

-Chase
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

Echo 3 and I'd buy a 6 weight too. Best deal in fly rods.
ben664 likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Still loving my Flying Pig 5wt. 200 bucks, but has the quality of a 600 dollar rod.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Nonsense! In the midwest you must buy St. Croix, and fortunately their Legend Elite is another very fine rod. The 9x5 lists for $440, right in the strike zone but low and inside.
biggie_robs and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Ill throw this out there but Sage Flight. I have one in 5 weight. 8'6". I put Rio Grande line on there and I like it now. Was too stiff before I put a little heavier line on it. You can pick up the rod on clearance for $215 pretty easily. I got the rod, Rio line and backing, and a Greys reel for about $305. Great combo.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Are the Steffen Brothers in the mid-west? And if the Wisconsin-built(?) Legend Elite (with 3M mid-western technology) has the control to pitch low and inside consistently, it too is a worthy contender (the mid-western Cubs could use one). As is ECHO3 (I have the #6 also) even though it is west coast. We can nail this down when Pickle tells us where and how he hopes to fish his new rod.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Nonsense! In the midwest you must buy St. Croix, and fortunately their Legend Elite is another very fine rod. The 9x5 lists for $440, right in the strike zone but low and inside.
I've fished the Legend Elite last spring (my guides stick) in the 486 and didn't like it. Slower than my typical rod but adjusting the stroke rectified that. I just didn't feel that it had as much feel as I like - strange since it was slower than my 486 ZXL. Just goes to show you that slower doesn't equal "feel" and we all respond differently to different sticks. To each his own...

Cheers,
Mike.