The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 AM

Pickle is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a new rod.......

If a guy had about $500 for a new 5wt rod, what would you get? I generally fish small to medium size streams and rivers. I know this is a very broad question but I'd just like to know what everyone has experience with in a rod for that price. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 AM
sbreech

Default Re: Looking for a new rod.......

That would be an easy question for me : Orvis Superfine Touch.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'd watch ebay for a Z-axis or One. But if you want to go new; the Sage VXP is in that price range.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Winston Boron B2t or B3x on eBay
newby likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I'd watch ebay for a Z-axis or One. But if you want to go new; the Sage VXP is in that price range.
I like a little more moderate action in a 5 weight, so I'd look for a Sage ZXL on eBay or on closeout. There are still quite a few around, but they are starting to get scarcer. I've seen them go on eBay in the $350-$400 range, a bit higher if you buy from a retailer at a clearance markdown.

Another possibility if you can find one is the Orvis Hydros, discontinued a year ago. They were built on the same blank as the first-generation Helios, but with slightly less spiffy hardware. The 8' 6" or 9' 5 weight mid-flex might be a good choice for your kind of fishing. Originally retailed at $500, now $250 - $350 if you can find them new, less if used.

If you're willing to be patient, the first-generation Helios is also about to be discontinued, but the big markdowns haven't been taken yet.

As discussed on another thread, the Winston GVX's are being upgraded with nicer hardware and the current inventory is being discontinued and discounted. Original price $500, now available around $350 while supplies last. Or you can pay full sticker price for the upgraded version.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
If a guy had about $500 for a new 5wt rod, what would you get? I generally fish small to medium size streams and rivers. I know this is a very broad question but I'd just like to know what everyone has experience with in a rod for that price. Thanks in advance for any info.
Pickle - You're going to get a ton of different responses and combinations. I know what I would get, but that may mean nothing to you. There are slow rod fans, fast rod fans, short rods, long rods, cheap rods (hey you could get two!) and expensive rods, used rods, new rods, Sage fans, Orvis fans, Winston fans... I could go on.

Which rod would I buy? Probably a closeout Sage ZXL 590-4. Why, because I have two other 5 weights and that fits a small niche in my quiver that's missing in a 5 weight. How that would translate to what you need in your quiver or the type of fishing you like to do...
FrankB2 and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Fishing small to medium size streams you could go with an 8 1/2'/#5 instead of a 9' model. A Scott A4 at $395 comes to mind as a fine choice in this category if you intend to buy a new rod. Like others, I expect Orvis to discount original Helios and the 8 1/2' models cast better than the 9' 5-weight versions in my opinion. For a bit over $500 there is the Hardy Zenith; one of the best #5's out there. You might look at George Anderson's 5-weight shoot on his site and here in this rod forum.
leithel likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

My personal choice would probably be a St Croix Legend Elite. 8'6" vs. 9' would depend on which one I liked casting better (I haven't cast the new version with SCVI graphite in the butt).
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Fishing small to medium size streams you could go with an 8 1/2'/#5 instead of a 9' model. A Scott A4 at $395 comes to mind as a fine choice in this category if you intend to buy a new rod. Like others, I expect Orvis to discount original Helios and the 8 1/2' models cast better than the 9' 5-weight versions in my opinion. For a bit over $500 there is the Hardy Zenith; one of the best #5's out there. You might look at George Anderson's 5-weight shoot on his site and here in this rod forum.
I was seeing these at the Denver show last week for $465, I am sure they would have gone lower considering the environment.

The Helios is a dress up Hydros, and I have a tip flex Hydros that is a good rod. The medium flex rod would suit your requirements as well.

As others said to the ZXL can be had in the $450 range now too and it is a fantastic all around rod
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Which part of the country do you fish, and are you even located in the USA? Are you fishing for trout, catfish, carp, smallmouth, etc...? How are your casting skills? Do the streams and rivers you fish have steep banks and overhanging branches? Do you wade the rivers, or fish from a boat? Are you using heavy streamers, dry flies, multiple nymph rigs with an indicator? All of these factors will help to determine what sort of rod action and length might best suit you. If you're going to be fishing heavy streamers, a soft action rod will not perform as well as something like the St. Croix Legend Elite mentioned above. If your streams have lots of overhanging branches, a shorter rod like Sweet&Salt mentioned might be more suitable, both in terms of accuracy and avoiding branches.

Help us to get to know you.
jaybo41 likes this.