The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM

brodie is on a distinguished road
Default Few questions about some inherited rods

I'm new to the forum (first post) and fairly new to fly fishing.
Im in south Louisiana so most of my fishing is warm water (bass and bream)

I have a few questions about a few rods i inherited after a relative passed away...

One is a 9' SAGE Graphite II (5 wt, 4 piece). Looks and feels like a good rod, but i have limited experience in fly rods (been mostly a spin and bait caster). How does this rod hold up compared to newer SAGE models..how much has technology improved since? Also wondering its value given it is in excellent condition?

I cannot find any info on the two other rods i have. both have the name "Technical Research Company" inscribed on them and seem to be very fine quality rods (as good or better than the sage) and one looks like its never even seen a reel. One is a 4 pc 8 wt, the other a 2 pc 5 wt. Anyone have a clue or know anything about this company? Could they be handmade...how would i go about finding the value of them since i would like to offer some money to the widow even though she gave them to me...??

Thanks in advance,
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Few questions about some inherited rods

Brodie: I can't help with the rod information other then the fact that Sage has built very fine fly fishing rods over the years. Hopefully you will get better answers to your questions from the other members, but I just wanted to say "Welcome to the Forum!!!!!".

Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the Sage is an RP Graphite II model. This was first produced in 1982. Look at the butt section for the name of the rod series. It should have a serial number. Shine a flashlight on the butt and you should see a serial number unique to that rod. It is a good starter rod, but to be honest, you can buy a much better rod now for about $100.

All bets are off if it is a custom/home made rod from a Sage rod blank.

As to the value, I doubt you could get much for it. The next rod series, the RPL has a greater demand. The 9 ft 5 wt in that model is a classic.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brodie,

Welcome to the forum. If you can, please take some pictures of the rods, specifically the markings on them and post them to the forum. This would be helpful so that folks can see what you've got and hopefully give you help identifying your rods.

To do this, you'll need to first upload them to Photobucket or another photo storage option and then copy the IMG location into a post.

Here's a very good post that might be worth your time reading, specific to the Sage fly rod.

Sage Rod Chart Old to New
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM

brodie is on a distinguished road

thanks for the responses so far. i will try to post some pics tonight