The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM

gotimbers is on a distinguished road
Default Sub-$200 7"6' 4 wt. recommendation

Looking to fill out my arsenal with a 7"6' 4 wt. for small stream fishing. These would typically be mountain streams in the Oregon coast range and the Cascades with coastal cutthroats the target. 10" would be a huge catch. Fishing mostly small-ish attractor dries and the occasional nymph or soft hackle. Considering the Ross Essence FC, but there a a few others in the sub-$200 price range, like the TFO Finesse (actually 7'9"), Redington Crosswater, Allen ATS (this one rated a 3/4 wt.), Cabela's TLr, LSi, and Traditional III, and probably more I haven't thought of. I don't really care if it is 2, 3 or 4 piece. The fishing is close-in, anywhere from a rod's length to maybe 30 ft. I typically favor a faster-action but not necessarily super fast. On these small streams, though, without a lot of line out of the rod, I don't know if a fast action is the best. But it's not really finesse fishing either. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sub-$200 7"6' 4 wt. recommendation

I have the 7' 9" Finesse and it is a very sweet rod. I use it for exactly the sort of fishing you are describing, but in New England. I can't compare it to any of the others you mention, though, because I haven't tried them.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

The TFO Finesse has an unbeatable warranty and is a nice rod. It is a medium action and will land a dry softly, but it can EASILY throw a soft hackle. A smaller streamer, even with a little bit of weight, is also no problem for the 4wt finesse. It's not a Winston or Sage, but for the price it will serve you well.

You should also throw Echo Carbon rods into the mix, Greys makes a rod in your price range, as does elkhorn for that matter. All nice rods.
sbreech likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I noticed that St Croix has the Legend Ultra 7'6" 4wt in their bargain room for $155: Legend Ultra Fly Rod - 7' 6" 4Weight, 4 Piece: St. Croix Fishing Rods - Spinning, Casting, Saltwater, Fly
itchmesir and sbreech like this.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the allen ats rods are pretty sweet. i have a 8' 9" and love it!
i'd go that route if i were you

ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Might also want to try the St. Croix Imperial in 7'6" 4wt.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i already have 3 4wts and im considering and am considering buying that st croix ultra even though i dont need it. great rod graet price and im not sure how much linger you will be able to get them.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

St. Croix Imperial 7'6" 4wt is an amazing rod... my favorite small stream rod by far... very versatile... can roll cast like a champ with it too.. have mine matched with an SLV and Airflo line
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM

gotimbers is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the ideas everyone.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I would suggest you have a look at the Echo Carbons. However, they are 8' rods. Great casting rod with a lifetime warranty. Also, they are a local company of us in the PacNW since they are in Vancouver, WA.

I bought one because i wasnt happy with a Bass Pro shops house branded 4wt i got and i love it.

ECHO Fly Rods : Carbon

Go see Don @ River City fly shop in Beaverton to have a look. He has a big selection of Echo(and other brands) rods.