The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM

kevingraves35 is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly fishing, buying rods

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to fly fishing. I'm currently fishing with a 8'6" 5 weight from Dick's sporting goods (a Cortland Rod) I believe. It's caught it's fair share of fish but I'm ready to buy a new rod. I'm looking to keep it under $300 as I'm expecting a child soon.

Here's my problem. I'm not sure of the size or action that would best suite my needs. I fish primarily small rivers and streams (50ft cast being far plenty). I fish about 80% sub-surface. I fish size 12 bead heads, to tandem rigs, down to size 32 on 6x and 7x fluorocarbon.

I've been looking at the TFO BVK 3 weight due to its reviews but I'm not sure that is what would work for me. The Fly Fishing Show will be around town this coming weekend and I'd like to cast as many rods as I can to see which feels the best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New to fly fishing, buying rods

A 3wt would work well for those little guys, but if you're tossing double nymph rigs and those #12 beadheads (streamers or nymphs?) you're going to be really pushing the limits of a 3wt. You'd probably be better off with at least a 4wt, or to cover that range of applications you might be better off with 2 rods.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I'm probably the last person who should respond since I'm buying all kinds of different weights and lengths.

The 8'6 5wt is a good rod so you have 1 that's working. My guess is that's a medium action rod. Which is one of the rods I'm considering:

Maybe you can glean some insight from what I already have:
  • 7'6" 4wt (mid flex/med) action - Throws it all in small sizes in choked, overgrown, tree covered places. Get's little use though. A small mountain, pocket water stream rod.
  • 8'6" 3wt (full flex/slow) action - For small brookies in small - medium streams and spring creeks. Basically a dry fly rod but I do throw size #10 golden retrievers on it.
  • 9' 5wt (mid flex/med) action - My all around for medium size streams and rivers. Dries and terrestrials, streamers, you name it.
  • 9' 7wt (tip flex/fast) action - My bass rod for bigger streamers and top water.

One question. I don't fish fluorocarbon. I'd rather spend the extra money on something else (flies, fly tying material). Does it result in more hookups?

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Double nymphs, 12 beadheads say 4wt, 9 foot to me. There's lots of great options for under $300. If you want to get an idea as to which rods might be in your budget, look around on some of the online fly shops. Make a list of the ones that fit your budget and have reviews that appeal to you. Then make it a point to try and cast them at the show. Good move on your part! What I or others might recommend for you might not necessarily be what feels good in your hands. This link might be a good primer for you to get some perspective. If nothing else, an entertaining read.

4weightshootout.bestspringcreekflyrods.dryflyrods. hardyzenith.sageTXL-F.SageONE.WinstonBIIIx.b3x.Beulahrods.CFBurkheimer rods

Happy shopping, congratulations on your new fishing buddy and welcome to the forum
Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

The thing to remember about the BVK 3 Wt is you can get it with a kit that gives you an 8' AND a 10" rod as well. I have fished that rod up at both lengths and was really taken with how well the rod fished. As a 10 footer, I think you could nymph effectively with as much garbage to cast as a normal 4 wt would handle. It roll cast like a cannon for me.

My disclaimer: Never fished a 4wt in my life. Just 3's and 5's, so the other guys suggesting 4wts might be right...but I'd wiggle that rod set up both ways and see what I thought. It's a little over your budget, unless they've come down. :-(
mrfzx likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM

The conversion kit was another reason I was looking at the BVK. I was just wondering if a 3 weight was too small? I guess I could always bring the 5 weight along just in case...

As far as the fluoro goes... In my opinion it does lead to more hook ups. It's stronger than mono and is less visible. I switched to fluoro under the recommendation of the local fly shop and don't hesitate to spend the extra money. Maybe others have different opinions...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I would think the BVK being pretty fast would handle the bigger payload. As others stated not all 3wts can handle bigger doubles let alone a stout breeze.
shotgunfly likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 PM

altos is on a distinguished road

May I suggest you not put too much weight on the opinion of others, including me. Rod length and weight are the easy part. Rod action is another. The only way you will know if a rod is "right" for you is to try one. Try many. Friends... shows.... casting someone elses at the water edge... whatever means necessary, try them with no regard as to cost. You may prefer a $400 rod or a $120 rod. The key is whether it is a "fit". Ignore logos, status, trends, advertising, etc. Consider used rods. The sport is flooded with new designs that are SO much better than those of 10 years ago, those same rods that were SO much better than the rods 10 years before them. My favorite rod is a 10' 6wt Sage RPL that is o-l-d. I am looking daily for a 5wt version (hard to find, darn it). Why? Because it would be a "fit". The technology was brilliant when it was made but is now considered archiac. Fine by me. Good luck in your search. Wish you well.
jaybo41 and noreaster like this.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM

Thanks for all the help. I guess I will try and cast as many rods at the show as possible. Having only one rod to my disposal, I'm not familiar with the action of different rods.

Would a fast action rod result in more break offs?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingraves35 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I guess I will try and cast as many rods at the show as possible. Having only one rod to my disposal, I'm not familiar with the action of different rods.

Would a fast action rod result in more break offs?
Hmm. I haven't found that to be the case on my tip flex.

Besides...you're fishing flouro ;-)
C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com