The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM

panks3436 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a rod that will handle salmon and steelhead. Suggestions?

Im looking for a rod that can handle salmon and steelhead. I dont want something that will take the fight out of it but I also dont want to be the guy that everyone looks at when they hear the loud pop of the rod snapping. My guess is going with an 8wt and i was hoping for some help on the length and brands from you fellas. Thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Looking for a rod that will handle salmon and steelhead. Suggestions?

depends on the salmon i suppose. Great lakes, atlantic, pacific?

I'd say 8wt you'd be covered well, but some perhaps lighter if you're fishing North east atlantic coast, and maybe heavier if you're going for pacific salmon.

FWIW,i use 8wt for Great lakes salmon and steel.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Looking for a rod that will handle salmon and steelhead. Suggestions?

Ill be going for great lakes and atlantic kings and coho. I layed into a few nice ones last year that gave me a run for my money. The current in the area that i like to fish is nasty so, when they reach the end of their upstram bolt then head straight back down some of the ones I hooked up with as far as 130ish yards without a single crank on the reel. I figured an 8wt ought to do it. I just hate playing the careful game sometimes when your see a ton of backing being stripped away. Any Rods that you would suggest?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Single hand I would go with a 9'6" or 10' 8wt Sage Z-axis, One, or VXP. For a cheaper alternative the Temple Fork BVK gets good reviews as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks a bunch. I was actually looking at some of the sage rods earlier. These things are like buying a new car to me though. Youre never really satisfied until you are haha. Ill take a peek at the BVK series too. Thanks again
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i have a 10'6 Diawa, i bought i years ago for still water fishing when i lived in ireland. The extra length is good is you want to high stick eggs, and it works well as a single handed switch with a t-11 or t-14 head on WF8F.
Extra length is handy for multiple situations.

Addicted To Vise