The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 PM

edwardo is on a distinguished road
Default 7 wt bass rod

I'm looking to expand my fly fishing to include LM bass and maybe stripers; will be fishing small to large rivers and lakes, mainly from a kayak or canoe and wading. I'm looking at a good deal on the discontinued Ross Essence FW. How does this compare with their FS and FC series? I'm also looking at TFO Pro, Echo Ion; in other words, $100-$200 rods, since it will be a boat rod too. These are all medium-fast rods; would I be better off with that or a faster rod; I'm fairly new to fly casting?

How about other discontinued rods such as St. Croix Triumph and Reign, Redington RS3?

Oh yeah, I'm about 2 hours away from any fly shop, so trying them out is rather difficult.

Thanks,
Eddie

Last edited by edwardo; 01-18-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7 wt bass rod

The ross rods are nice, they are pretty basic and sometimes the wraps the can get ugly after a few seasons of use but they work. You can get them really cheap at Sierra Trading Post, especially if you get their email coupons. i paid 75 for an 11wt at the fly shop and its alright.

Compairing it to a Reign, i have one in a 5wt and had an 8wt version of it. My buddy still has the 8. To me they seem like a broomstick unless you way upline them. my 5wt casts brilliantly with an 8wt line on it. haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 7 wt bass rod

I prefer a fuller flexing rod over a faster rod for bass fishing, as long as it has some backbone and isn't limp. It may be just my casting style, but I find that a deeper flexing rod that throws a wider loop is better for tossing those big, air-resistant deer hair poppers.