The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Helios 2 vs Zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Burk, An intriguing idea particularly as I am of the opinion that I have not nailed down the optimal line for Proaxis #8. Of course he is a much stronger caster than most of us but I am planing on discussing this matter with Mills at Somerset next weekend. Though I have never used a clear line and perhaps it is an issue of old fashioned attitude, I have long presumed I need a line of opaque color to ascertain the location of my bonefish fly and the tidal currents effect on it particularly at distance. I enjoy fishing this powerful rod and love the Fortuna reel but keep feeling like it wants an 8.5-weight line. Is there a 1/2 size heavy Tropic+ model in the Cortland lineup?
The Procast series is designed to be true to size, Andy was pretty picky about that one. While the Liquid Crystal is pretty true to size it is an aggressive taper that has zero resistance when shooting thru the guides. It has to be experienced, but in my life I have never cast a rod better matched to a line than the Proaxis 8 with an 8 liquid Crystal. I've seen jaws literally drop when casting it at shows or demos.

Last edited by burk48237; 01-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

The Proaxis 9 weight sticks as suggested by Burk were definitely spot on 9 wt rods, I ran 9 wt Rio, SA and Cortland Redfish tapers on mine along with a Cortland Little Tunny in 9 wt, all matched perfectly.

It was intriguing how those Proaxis rods cast so well with a 9 wt line, yet had more fish fighting power than other 9 wt rods in the boat that needed to be over-lined to feel as good.

To date, my favorite 9 wt rods I have ever used. After the first day during my last excursion down South, all the other rods got left back at camp and the only rods on the boat were my Proaxis sticks, everyone was a huge fan.

Burk I hope they dropped their "jaws" instead of their "draws", may have been a awkward moment guys pants falling down after casting that rod! LOL

Regarding the Helios 2, Zenith 9' 5 wt rods, would be interested if others compared them to the Thomas & Thomas NS5, to date, never fished anything quite like the NS5 lined with a Cortland Boss line, absolute magic. Just as much power and line speed as the "ONE", but way way more feel and much more pleasant rod to fish. I have never fished the H2 or Zenith 5's though...
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

That cortland trout boss line is easily the best lie on the market...just blows everything else away...not even close
Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

As far the new H2 verses the Zenith I haven't thrown the H2 in a 9-5 yet. But G Anderson has a new up coming min-shootout, where he added the H2, the Circca, the B IIIX, the New Loomis NRX and the Zenith scored the highest again.

Quote:
The Hardy Zenith 9 foot #5 steamrollered the competition once again. You would think that after we declared them the winner back in our last 5-weight shootout that was two year ago, other manufacturers would take a closer look at these Hardy rods and tell their R&D guys to come up with a rod that is at least as good as the Hardy or better. Well, they didnít get the job done. The Zenith is just a killer tool in the hands of a good angler. A fly rod on steroids, but one that is also capable of delicate presentations. We havenít had a single customer that wasnít delighted with this Rod.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
As far the new H2 verses the Zenith I haven't thrown the H2 in a 9-5 yet. But G Anderson has a new up coming min-shootout, where he added the H2, the Circca, the B IIIX, the New Loomis NRX and the Zenith scored the highest again.
Is the excerpt you quoted from Anderson's new shootout? Is it published online yet?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Is the excerpt you quoted from Anderson's new shootout? Is it published online yet?
I don't believe so, I got the information from Hardy yesterday. I imagine we'll see the full shootout within the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have now cast some H2's. It is not exactly a field test to cast rods on Somerset's casting pond but it gives a taste. Along with a skilled fishing buddy, we blind cast the #5 mid and tip-flex (by not reading the writing on the blank) switching off after several strokes. More power in the lower taper by far compared to original Helios and better defined tip and mid section transitions too. I preferred the tip-flex with its softer tip but stouter midsection to the stiffer tipped, softer midsection mid-flex by a nose. I would really need to take one fishing to get to know it but the Orvis faithful have a contender as never before. I do not believe Zenith has to loose any sleep in the 5-weight department; it may be imitated but not yet equaled (and ONE remains in its own separate category all by itself). However, the 8-weight H2 is a rocket launcher, a much more impressive rod than the #5's!

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Burk, I visited the Cortland "log cabin" at the Show and they were very enthusiastic about Liquid Crystal and made many good points except about how you are supposed to see where your bonefish fly is 70' away. Andy generously spent considerable time with me on the pond casting Proaxis with a straight #8 compelling me to admit I might be wrong. We chipped some paint off the far wall with it but didn't address in close shots that much...that simply isn't done at shows! I will have to follow up with some lawn casting when the weather softens.