The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 PM

alamojones is on a distinguished road
Default RL Winston

I was looking for some reviews or feedback on the Boron ii - MX. I am having some trouble finding any reviews on here, which could be just an oversight on my part. If anyone has any feedback on these rods I would love to hear it.
I fish for largemouth 90% of the time and trout about 10%. I also plan to do some redfishing next fall and winter. My thought was to go with a 7wt rod and then line down to 6wt for trout. I tested 6/7/8wt lines in this rod and I think it handles the 6 great and the 8 well. I would also be interested to hear feedback comparing the Boron ii to the Boron iii. Is the iii a quantum leap, about the same or a step back? Finally, are Winston's Boron rods everything that the marketing pumps them up to be or is it all hype. They feel nice.

I have tested about half a dozen rods in the $200-400 range (TFO, Sage, Scott), but found a Boron ii for under $500. Now I am looking for some guidance from the collective experience.

Thank you all in advance for your time and feedback.

Last edited by alamojones; 01-20-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RL Winston

I bought a bIIMX for trout fishing in the wind and throwing streamers in Wyoming on Grey Reef. I could not ask for a rod to perform better. Great backbone for casting into the wind and handling large streamers, while truly still having some feel for finesse and tippet protection.

The rod is fantastically balanced and can cast forever. The quality is as good or better than any on the market. I have never regretted paying full price so paying under $500 is almost too good to be true.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I have the 9x7 and love it...nicest I have ever used. Light and powerful without being a broomstick. All winston baby!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamojones View Post
I was looking for some reviews or feedback on the Boron ii - MX. I am having some trouble finding any reviews on here, which could be just an oversight on my part. If anyone has any feedback on these rods I would love to here it.
I fish for largemouth 90% of the time and trout about 10%. I also plan to do some redfishing next fall and winter. My thought was to go with a 7wt rod and then line down to 6wt for trout. I tested 6/7/8wt lines in this rod and I think it handles the 6 great and the 8 well. I would also be interested to hear feedback comparing the Boron ii to the Boron iii. Is the iii a quantum leap, about the same or a step back? Finally, are Winston's Boron rods everything that the marketing pumps them up to be or is it all hype. They feel nice.

I have tested about half a dozen rods in the $200-400 range (TFO, Sage, Scott), but found a Boron ii for under $500. Now I am looking for some guidance from the collective experience.

Thank you all in advance for your time and feedback.

Alomo, have a look on here.
The Winston Forum - Index page
You should get some answers there.
S.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I have the 690 And 790 BIIMXs (which I picked up last spring for steel heading). I haven't fished the 790 yet but the 690 is an awesome rod. It was my go-to rod on the Bighorn River in Montana (i also used it on the Yellowstone and Madison) and I'm sure I'll use it a lot on the Deschutes and other rivers here in Oregon. It's capable of throwing double-nymph rigs under an indicator and streamers with ease. And when a hatch comes off, it'll throw dries well. It's a rod which feels much stiffer in a wiggle test in the shop than it fishes on the water. I typically fish 5X, sometimes 4x, and the fish I lose is due to operator error, not a lack of tippet protection. I am expecting the same great experience with the 790. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM

alamojones is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it.