The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mcphoto
  • 2 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM

altos is on a distinguished road
Default Winston Question

I have an non-local nonfishing friend who has a Winston 6wt rod his brother wants to sell. He says it's the writing on the rod says " 9'-6 " and "Guide". Does that make sense to anyone or have I missed something. Don't have a photo, unfortunately. Why would the rod say "Guide". Demo rod? Insights appreciated.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winston Question

My understanding is that rod companies provide guide/shop rods (labeled as such) as a way to market their rod at a discounted price (e.g. about 40-50%off retail). I have seen rods labeled "Guide" and rods labeled with shop names. Basically it's a way for guides/shops to provide rods to their clients with the hope the client buys the same rod at retail. FWIW, manufacturers will remove "Guide" or the shop name for a fee.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

Sounds like that rod is most likely a guide rod from a pro-deal. Having dealt with Winston's warranty service (they are very particular about which rods they will repair), my guess would be that a rod purchased on on a pro deal for a guide that has been sold would not be eligible for warranty service. Be careful, and maybe even give Winston a call to figure out if the transfer of ownership on that rod makes the warranty void or not.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphoto View Post
Sounds like that rod is most likely a guide rod from a pro-deal. Having dealt with Winston's warranty service (they are very particular about which rods they will repair), my guess would be that a rod purchased on on a pro deal for a guide that has been sold would not be eligible for warranty service. Be careful, and maybe even give Winston a call to figure out if the transfer of ownership on that rod makes the warranty void or not.
That's good advice. Plus they can tell you exactly what it is. No guesses.

By the way, I'm Irish and have never heard the name McPhoto.
imxer and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

These days winston inscribes the name of the buyer on the rod for prostaff and guide program rods. They are covered by the warranty to the original buyer...I.e the guy or gal who's name is on the rod. These rods are not supposed to be resold.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphoto View Post
Regarding Winston it wouldn't matter if it was a rod bought on a pro-form or not, if he was not original owner, warranty is void. Obviously they would still repair the rod for a fee though.

If it is a current model, it's against policy for the guide to sell it, meaning if you buy a rod on a pro-form, you are not allowed to sell it until it is discontinued, doing so will get you black listed with that company and keep you from ever purchasing via a pro-form again.

No company warranties a rod to anyone but original owner anymore to my knowledge.