The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Czech Switch Question

I'm thinking about building a rod for tight-line/czech nymphing and have read about folks using switch rod blanks for this purpose. I like the versatility that this could provide from straight line nymphing to one and two hand casting. I'm looking at a Batson RX7 switch rod blank and am trying to figure out what weight to get. My initial thought was to get a 5wt but am now wondering about getting a 7wt since that would open it up to fishing streamers for large trout and also fishing for bass and pike and even small steelhead back in Michigan. So some questions:

Am I asking too much trying to get one rod to nymph rivers and tailwaters here in Colorado and also work well for bass, pike, and steelhead?

Is a faster rod better of that kind of nymphing?

Any other weight / bland suggestions?

Any downsides I'm not seeing?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech Switch Question

Build it as a switch rod. Don't try and put a single hand grip on it and use it for that, then still axpect to do the rest of your list., If you build it as a switch rod for the last half of the list and use it to nymph also you will be happier.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I think the faster stuff will be better suited to the nymphing and I'm not familiar with the RX7's action. I used to have the older Batson 10'6 in a 5wt and its a really slow, soft rod. A total dream to cast though and the length isn't a bear to cast single handed but its sweet two handed. If you have the water for it and if the newer RX7's are a bit quicker then I think you could build a up a pretty cool heavy duty trout rod in a 7wt.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Build it as a switch rod. Don't try and put a single hand grip on it and use it for that, then still axpect to do the rest of your list., If you build it as a switch rod for the last half of the list and use it to nymph also you will be happier.
I was thinking it was a good idea to use the switch grip. I actually thought the longer grip might let me move my grip around more while nymphing and help balance the rod for long days with a long rod. I'll have to learn two handed casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I think the faster stuff will be better suited to the nymphing and I'm not familiar with the RX7's action. I used to have the older Batson 10'6 in a 5wt and its a really slow, soft rod. A total dream to cast though and the length isn't a bear to cast single handed but its sweet two handed. If you have the water for it and if the newer RX7's are a bit quicker then I think you could build a up a pretty cool heavy duty trout rod in a 7wt.
They call it mod-fast, the same as their RX6 rod, and say the top 40% of the blank flexes and other 60% stays fairly straight. My concern is the softer action might not be as good for nymphing, though my comparison is the 12' 3wt I finished for the fun of it. Might not be a fair comparison to a 7wt Batson blank.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've heard from others that there is a significant difference between the newer and older models but all I know is the older, if you're not fishing super heavy nymphs I don't think it should be too much of an issue with the 7wt.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM

I was also looking at the MHX switch blanks on mudhole and they are fast action, just a bit more money. I don't know enough about using a switch rod to know which action might be better, but it's interesting reading about them. I like the grips and will need to decide if I want to try to make one or just buy one. They are expensive but that's a lot of cork.

Any thoughts on guide sizing? I have a free set of guides coming but they'll be down to size 1 snakes and I'm wondering if that would be too small for a switch rod. Most sheets I've seen talk about size 3 or maybe 2.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM

Size 1 would be too small in my opinion you might get away with 2s but it depends on the line I guess.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Size 1 would be too small in my opinion you might get away with 2s but it depends on the line I guess.
+1 here. Folks tend to forget that the design of a single hander rod and that of a 'switch' are two very different animals. Very different! The switch will be much heavier construction due to the line weights they're designed to carry. Candidly I've never seen anyone actually try to 'one hand' a switch. 2 hand over hand cast, yes.

For confirmation of this just look at the gain weight of a '7wt one hander line vs. that you'd use on a 2hander. Miles apart.

Can you build a 'switch' using a one hander blank? Absolutely, as any one hander will easily perform most 'spey casts.' Seen/cast a couple of these builds (both done on 10' Sage XP's) and a treat to cast.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Those little Batsons' aren't to much of a bear to single hand cast Fred, it was one of the things I liked most about that rod.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM

teeser is on a distinguished road

dont know if it helps much but my take on short line ( aka czech )nymphing is that you are on top of the fish whilst fishing you therefore get a better hook up ratio with a softer tipped rod ,generally on or around 10ft 3wt is the weapon of choice the rods that you are looking at seem to be at the other end of the spectrum as i see it
regards Iain