The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default I value your opinion..please...

I am close to having enough milk money saved for that Superfine Touch. Now the really hard part comes in,,,,,,,,,,,,what wt, and what length. Iv considered the 3wt,,,they make it in 7'6",,and 8'6". On this one,,I think I'd go 8'6"..as I have a 7'6" CT, 3wt..and that rod actually is a pretty nice rod.

But,,all in all, I am more considering a 4wt. The choice comes down to this for me,,,8'6" or 9'. Would the 9ft really give me any more 'rod abililty' than the 8'6" ? I'm leaning 8'6" unless,,,good advice would move me to the 9ft. And, I'm a fan of the 4wt's I have now..because I tend to,,,even with my limited expertise,,,agree that a 4 wt will cast as soft as a 3wt,,and has some advantages to it also.

I really do put all you folks say in my head an ponder over it,,serious like. So, what would you shoot for here ?

Thanks folks, much appreciated

Michael
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: I value your opinion..please...

get a 7'6'' 3 weight to match the cfo and sell the ct. the ct is an awesome rod but the superfine is a remarkable piece of work.
plus, the rod was designed around the cfo reel.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Yea Casey,,an 8'6" , 3wt is what that CFO needs ! I ain't ruled that one out either,,,,it calls to me big time. I got lots of pondering to do in the next month !
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the 8'6'' would be a good choice as well; go for it

casey

ARFE
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Hi nice problem to have. My two cents: Keep the CT rod as while not the same quality components as Orvis these rods have great tapers and at original $149 price was good deal and once discounted at Cabelas for $75 and elsewhere were stealing. I have casted the 9' Supertouch in both 4 & 5 weights and both are remarkable rods. The longer length would be better for nymph application just due to added length . But alot of folks can nymph just fine with 8'6" rods. I view the 10' plus rods as a specialize application length. Another new item for companies to move products . Guys who use them love them but not a necessary purchase for me. So back to your selection as always if you can cast the options it helps but if you want dry fly mainly go with the 8'6" length and alittle nymph application then the 9' and go with 4 weight rather than 8'6" 3. Just more versatile . One final comment while casting the both 9' rods in either the 4 or 5 weight they were one of those rods from initial cast you knew that matched your stroke dead on.For the price point I would get the Supertouch over the Sage Circa in a heartbeat.

Last edited by jastrout; 01-23-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I'm afraid I'm going to go against popular consensus, so feel free to disregard, you won't hurt my feelings.

I've fished a Superfine rod, pretty much exclusively (or at least anytime I use a reel) for the past 15 years. When I think Superfine, I think -
  • finesse
  • delicate presentations
  • short casts

Have you thought about going with a light line model?

I guess it really depends on where and how you like to fish. I fish mostly dries, so the Superfine rod I use is ideal for me.

p.s. I do use a cfo reel with my rod, it's a great reel.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Michael, what is the intended purpose for this rod? Sounds like you're happy with your current 3wt so am wondering, is this purchase an upgrade in rod quality or a expansion of capabilities as now limited by your 3wt. (casting large streamers)

Dave
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

seems to me your loading the box with the same tools. If you're currently happy with your three and 4 wts, then why get the superfine in the same sizes?

I'd say go with a different size rod, 5 or 6 (do they make them that big?) to expand your fishing capabilities.
If you have access to water that will require a 5 wt, then why not do that?

If you upgrading the quality, then you need to shift one or more of the others....

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I would try to narrow down the choices by process of elimination.

I think your CT is a nice enough rod and already covers most of the situations for which a 3 would be better than a 4 -- and there aren't that many of them anyway. So I think expanding or upgrading your 3 wt portfolio is not really a very productive way to spend your money, unless the mere pride of ownership is worth it to you.

As for 4 weights, you mention that you already have some. What are they? How much do you enjoy fishing them? Is there a gap that the Superfine would fill nicely? Or is there a particularly unloved rod that you would be happier replacing? That might tell you the best specs for your new rod.

A note on 4 weights: I know people out West who consider a fast-action 9' 4 weight to be the most versatile rod for most of the larger Western rivers, like the Madison, Gallatin, Yellowstone, Missouri, Snake, and Henry's Fork. However, the Superfine Touch is not that kind of rod. It is designed for delicate fishing in small and/or quiet waters. That being the case, I would lean toward a 7' to 8' rod, or maybe 8' 6" at the most. The longer you go, the more you lose in balance, sensitivity, delicacy and control. The main advantages of a longer rod are farther reach and a higher backcast, but a soft action like the Superfine is not going to give you the reach that a faster rod would anyway.

You may also find the legendary former Winston rod designer Tom Morgan's thoughts on rod selection helpful: Tom Morgan Rodsmiths - Yellowstone Country Water
littledavid123 likes this.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 01-23-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Counterpoint:

I know you have been lusting over a Superfine for a long time and you know I am not a fan of very deep flexing rods. Tom Morgan 's preference is for deliberate action rods but not as soft as Superfine. These are true old fashioned wet fly action noodles for small stream environments. Not that I have cast it yet, I will on Friday, but if you are liking Orvis, I'd like to see you cast a Superfine #4 next to their new 8 1/2'/#4 mid-flex H2...also I am hearing raves from the deeper flexing rod fan base about Circa 7'9"/#4. These Superfines are not even al dente, they are truly soft.