The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Fly Rod?

Welcome to the forum Okie, lots of good folks on here. Would suggest you check out the search feature as their is a wealth of info stored away in there. Where abouts in Oklahoma are you from, I am originally from Watonga. May have missed it but would help if you let everyone know it $300 is all in or just for the rod.

Dave
Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 AM

okiefshr12 is on a distinguished road
Default First Fly Rod?

Dave I grew up around Durant in Southeast Oklahoma but now live in Atoka. The 300 limit is for a rod. I did the search a little bit and it seems like more rely on the quality of the rod then the reel, correct me if I'm wrong, so I started my search there. They have already been a great help I didn't even know about the close outs going on and have found some pretty good deals that will save me some money.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you primarily plan to fish with this rod and will you be out for other fish besides the trout? Would imagine with the distance to trout water that some of the local perch and small mouth will be on the menu also. Recommend staying with a 5 wt because you can cast decent sized wooly buggers and get into some good smallie action.

Dave
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 PM

crruns will become famous soon enough
Default First Fly Rod?

I bought a TFO NXT package in a 5/6 wt on the advice of a local shop, and have been really happy with that setup for getting started in the sport.

Also, I just picked up 2 Sage Vantage 8'6" 6wt for a couple guys at work when I was at the fly show yesterday. Cast them on the pond, and they feel really nice. Hardware on that rod is much nicer than the NXT, and for $150 each, a nice price.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM

chipsro is on a distinguished road

I know this is late in the thread, but consider an Orvis Henrys Fork 8 1/2 5wt, two piece graphite. These rods were produced some years ago but are still found on the auction site. They have great action and fine for developing casting techniques. They are cheap enough to purchase reels and other toys. This was my first serious rod out of school years ago and I traded up after a few years. I have gone through many rods since then, but I recently purchased another and now it is my go to rod.

Chips
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I recommend a Redington CT or Echo Carbon 5 wt, either can be had for around $85.

Redington Classic Trout Fly Rod -CLOSEOUT- : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

Echo Carbon 4-Piece Fly Rods in 3, 4, 5, or 6 Weights

These are the best rods for the money, in my opinion.