The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM

okiefshr12 is on a distinguished road
Default First Fly Rod?

Living in Oklahoma I never had anything to draw me to flyfishing. I picked up trout fish with spinning tackle at Blue River, some on the Mountain Fork, and it wasn't until recent that I started to have a desire to fly fish. My dad grew up in Wyoming and keeps wanting to take me to fish some of the streams he did as a kid. So here I am. My budget is going to be around the 300 dollar range. I looked over a number of topics and just about settled on a 8' or 9' #4 or 5 rod. I've narrowed it down to a few I "think" will work for me but any input or help is appreciated. Out of TFO, Echo, does anybody have a rod they could suggest. I also saw a post about finding used rods. While I'm not knowledgable on those the Loomis IMX I found on eBay under my price range. Any other suggestions? I sure appreciate it. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and I can't wait to get started to join in.

Thanks
Evan
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Fly Rod?

I'm pretty new at this myself, so grains of salt are in play here.

The first question is, do you want to spend $300 on just the rod, or the whole rig, because that obviously changes things.

I'm not familiar with the Loomis IMX, but they are a top tier company whose rods consistently perform well. I'm quite happy with my GL2 which I got for a fraction of your target number.

The higher end Echo rods (Ion, Carbon and up) tend to be well regarded around these parts. TFO likewise, with the BVK being a particularly well received rod for it's price range.

If you're considering other brands as well, it's worth checking out the closeouts at the St. Croix website for 50% off (a 9' 4wt Legend Ultra caught my eye if you're ok with a 2 piece)

Also, the Allen gear is consistently well received across the board as providing excellent value for money.

A number of retailers currently have closeouts on discontinued Redington gear as well, most notably the Classic Trout, available for as low as $75-85 with a Med-Fast beginner friendly action, and the CPX with a faster action and a bit more backbone being available for $160-175 if you hunt. Both are generally regarded as rods with an excellent price/performance ratio.

Hope that helped some, hopefully some of the guys with more experience with the rods you're actually looking at can chime in. It might also help if you could identify which Echo and TFO rods you were considering.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I am a newbie to fly fishing as well, but have always admired the gear and have accumulated a number of rods at various price levels. One thing that I have learned is that you don't have to spend alot on gear to catch fish. I picked up a Sage Vantage last summer and now see it on various sites on the web for at least 30% less in price ($150 -$185.00). This is a beautiful moderate action 8'-6" graphite rod for the price IMO. It fits my casting ability as well as my pocketbook.Check out the"Yellowstone Angler" site for some excellent reviews by George Anderson.
crruns likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let others weigh in on the options you listed as I haven't fished those rods. I did want to comment on used gear. I think there are great deals to be had but if it's genuinely used (a fly shop selling new stuff on ebay) I'd be careful unless you know how to evaluate it when it arrives. My concern would be that the owner nailed the rod with a bead head fly and though it casts fine now there's a cracked rod waiting to happen. For your first set-up I'd advise new unless you can buy from someone you trust. If you look at a used Loomis, check if the warranty would transfer to you.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM

okiefshr12 is on a distinguished road
Default First Fly Rod?

Thanks for the replies for the TFO I had looked at the BVK and really like the echo carbon and ion also. Ill check in to them a little more and try to narrow it down. Thanks for the help gents.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM

codym is on a distinguished road

My best rod I have come across is the sage flight its in the 300.00-325.00 range definitely worth the money I have a 4wt and it has handled 15-20 inch rainbows with ease. I paired it up with a Cortland retro fly reel (130.00) with some Scientific anglers trout GPX fly line. this makes a heck of a combo if you want to venture out of your price range but as far as TFO goes they make a hell of a rod in the price range you have suggested. Of course the TFO rod I like the most is the BVK hell of a rod at a good price check em out.

Good luck
Cody
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

IMHO you can't do better than the Redington Crosswater outfits for your first rig. You can pick one up in a 4 pc for about $140. Med fast, forgiving action. Basic reel, decent line. Replace the leader. I've found this one great for teaching. (I still use one in 8 wt for pike).
With a budget of $300 you can then ponder all that other mysterious gear - tippet, flies, waders, boots, etc.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

The Sage Vantage and Flight are on clearance a lot of places at the moment, I've seen $150-170 on the Vantage and $200-225 on the Flight.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the crosswater outfit...one of my coworkers who starts flyfishing bought one a few months ago...he's very pleased with it...had the opportunity to use it when we swap rods while fishing and was pleasantly surprised
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I am a big fan of buying used gear, and I have collected way more used gear than I really need over the years because I can't resist a bargain, but I wouldn't recommend it to the uninitiated, unless you're buying from a retailer or private seller whom you trust and who will stand behind the sale to make sure you're satisfied. It's a bit like buying a used car: if you know what you're doing you can get a nice recent model with only a few miles on it for a lot cheaper than this year's model will cost new, but if you don't know what you're buying you could easily get stuck with a lemon.