The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Loose bamboo tip (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/308994-loose-bamboo-tip.html)

pescador7 01-25-2013 05:14 PM

Loose bamboo tip

So a while back I posted I got a Montague clipper and was asking what line weight to use. Thank you very much u guys helped me pick the right line weight to use. Now after some hours of use the tip of the rod has gotten loose. I was thinking of gluing it but don't know what glue to use, I don't want to mess up the bamboo and need help in picking a glue. Or should I just look for an experienced rod builder who knows about bamboo to fix it. I rather try not to spend much money on fixing it as I only paid $45 for it.

wt bash 01-25-2013 06:32 PM

Re: Loose bamboo tip

Ferrule Cement 4" Stick | mudhole.com

That'll do it.

petee 01-25-2013 08:02 PM

Regular old glue stick. Preferrably a high temperature stick. Melt a bit add it in the tip top and stick it on the tip. Peel the excess off with your fingernail and you are good to go.

Many of us custom builders use the glue stick. Easy to install and easy to remove if you align it wrong.

If you want, you can send it to me and I'll repair it for the cost of shipping. It's a 5 minute job ;)

Pete

Rip Tide 01-26-2013 06:48 AM

Like Pete said .... regular hot glue
If you want somebody else to do it, just take it to any good tackle shop and they'll fix it for 5 bucks... or maybe even free

:frogdance

pescador7 01-26-2013 11:37 AM

thanks for the responses I will use a hot glue gun to glue it back. I thought I will have to use some pretty expensive glue. Brought a big weight off my back now.

Guest1 01-26-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 520083)

I didn't look to see what brand it is, but don't get the Fuji. Fuji sucks. Flex Coat makes a stick that is much better.

wt bash 01-26-2013 12:04 PM

Dan how does it handle the cold? I've had tips pop off due to cold temps with hot glue stick glue but I'm sure it was just cheap stuff, I like the stuff JD Wagner sells I forget the actual brand but its just refereed to as ferrule cement, but it heats up nice and stays flexible when dry, it also has a tacky feel to it when its in its solid form. I don't think its the same as offered by mudhole but its pretty good stuff.

Scratch that, its definitely not the same as the Mudhole stuff.

overmywaders 01-30-2013 10:22 AM

You can still buy Bohning Ferr-L-Tite which is a natural resin-based cement. It is sold among the fletchers' supplies now. See Bohning Ferr-L-Tite